Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Sarvo


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Factory Rem 180 grn Core lokt ammo in 30-06

  1. #16
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so you best do some testing on hot norwest day...leaving ammo and rifle out in hot sun...just to be sure its going to be ok overthere...
    Wash your mouth out fella....its always hot over here But yeah I hear ya.



    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  2. #17
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so you best do some testing on hot norwest day...leaving ammo and rifle out in hot sun...just to be sure its going to be ok overthere...
    Finalised the load last nite. Accurate and consistent at 2860fps. Had an ES over 6 rnds of 8fps which is pretty cool.

    Went up just now as it is a hot day here. Left ammo out in sun for half an hour while I did some other stuff.
    Got the rifle hot, firing 3 rnds I didnt have in the sun and they were still at 2860ish fps

    Fired 3 rnds that were in the sun and they went 2900-2910fps but no pressure signs and still perfect zero. 50fps jump due to the sun


    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    bunji and Micky Duck like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  3. #18
    Member bunji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Finalised the load last nite. Accurate and consistent at 2860fps. Had an ES over 6 rnds of 8fps which is pretty cool.

    Went up just now as it is a hot day here. Left ammo out in sun for half an hour while I did some other stuff.
    Got the rifle hot, firing 3 rnds I didnt have in the sun and they were still at 2860ish fps

    Fired 3 rnds that were in the sun and they went 2900-2910fps but no pressure signs and still perfect zero. 50fps jump due to the sun


    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Great to hear , l should of mentioned our guns sat in dash cradles in the blasting African heat & in the tropics of Australia the same but on quads or laying on the deck of Air Boats , in Arnhem Land & the Kimberley any metal work on the guns would burn your hand to touch,so a proven safe load in hot environments .

    How did the load go for accuracy ? you can tell him he can have confidence in it as a proven African Plains Game taker.

  4. #19
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    Great to hear , l should of mentioned our guns sat in dash cradles in the blasting African heat & in the tropics of Australia the same but on quads or laying on the deck of Air Boats , in Arnhem Land & the Kimberley any metal work on the guns would burn your hand to touch,so a proven safe load in hot environments .

    How did the load go for accuracy ? you can tell him he can have confidence in it as a proven African Plains Game taker.
    I was criticising him week ago for shooting off an old cushion and rolled up Carpet and expecting to validate his 7 rem mag load. (Which he actually did in fine style)

    I forgot my bipod and rear bag so shot off some homemade sandbags I made out of fabric shopping bags I had in the truck. Not ideal but good enough to know it may shoot a little better with my usual setup. A lesser charge shot nearly identical so he should be pretty happy with it. I didnt get the holes lined up perfectly on my app but close enough.

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  5. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    565
    The max load of RL 22 for a 180 I have seen in a manual is 62 grains. I think it was a Speer manual. Others max out around 60 grains. Given the reduced volume of Rem cases I reckon your close to max at 60.5.

  6. #21
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    The max load of RL 22 for a 180 I have seen in a manual is 62 grains. I think it was a Speer manual. Others max out around 60 grains. Given the reduced volume of Rem cases I reckon your close to max at 60.5.
    Most manuals list max of around 62gr RL22 because that all the case will take without a decent drop tube. Quickload with this rifle and specs also allows 64 gr RL 22 and still within safe pressures. You can't really fit enough RL22 in the case to get in trouble with 180 class projectiles.

    Rem brass is soft as shit. I have loaded some his cases 5 times while confirming everything and primer pockets are still snug as.
    Fired primers (Not a 100% accurate indication) show the load to safe as well. Very well rounded still. No other indicators of pressure.

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 26-01-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  7. #22
    Member bunji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I was criticising him week ago for shooting off an old cushion and rolled up Carpet and expecting to validate his 7 rem mag load. (Which he actually did in fine style)

    I forgot my bipod and rear bag so shot off some homemade sandbags I made out of fabric shopping bags I had in the truck. Not ideal but good enough to know it may shoot a little better with my usual setup. A lesser charge shot nearly identical so he should be pretty happy with it. I didnt get the holes lined up perfectly on my app but close enough.

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Good stuff ,it has shot well in the 4 different rifles l seen punch paper with it ,you may want to mention that sighting we used for that 180grn load as it was a KISS favorite of mine .From my saved info on the reloading Log on my computer Sighting in the 180gn Partition for my KISS shoulder hold out to 300yrds, it works out as 3' high at 100yd makes the 180grner 4"high at 200, then drops 2". at 300 as far as l normally shoot on any game for this load, but it goes on to drop 14" at 400 yards.

    Like l say this was a proven/reliable hot environment load & l would get 10 reloads (if l did not lose them in the mean time) out of a case no problems, attesting to mild pressures ,it is also to me a clean burning ,mild kicking & noise maker compared to other similar tried loads.

    One of the things l have always loved about this forum is you get see proven in the field loads shared ,not just gunshop, shop counter or key board white hunter hot air .The in the field load info l gathered from this forum lead to me now using a 284W as one of my favorite all round NZ rifles before that l had never even really heard of it.Wish the bloke good luck on his Africa trip for me
    R93 and Mangle like this.

  8. #23
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    Good stuff ,it has shot well in the 4 different rifles l seen punch paper with it ,you may want to mention that sighting we used for that 180grn load as it was a KISS favorite of mine .From my saved info on the reloading Log on my computer Sighting in the 180gn Partition for my KISS shoulder hold out to 300yrds, it works out as 3' high at 100yd makes the 180grner 4"high at 200, then drops 2". at 300 as far as l normally shoot on any game for this load, but it goes on to drop 14" at 400 yards.

    Like l say this was a proven/reliable hot environment load & l would get 10 reloads (if l did not lose them in the mean time) out of a case no problems, attesting to mild pressures ,it is also to me a clean burning ,mild kicking & noise maker compared to other similar tried loads.

    One of the things l have always loved about this forum is you get see proven in the field loads shared ,not just gunshop, shop counter or key board white hunter hot air .The in the field load info l gathered from this forum lead to me now using a 284W as one of my favorite all round NZ rifles before that l had never even really heard of it.Wish the bloke good luck on his Africa trip for me
    He has a VX- 6 With a boon and crocket style reticle in it. I think he will use that where I would normally use a system similar to yours with a standard reticle.

    I zero most things 1.5" at 100. Bang on at 200 and 7"- 9" low at 300.
    And yeah I dont think the load is an issue as I know someone shooting 200 gr bullets with 62gr of the same powder in different brass but he does OK with it.

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 26-01-2021 at 05:26 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: 7mm 140g Remington Core Lokt projectiles WTB
    By kiwijames in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2021, 09:56 PM
  2. .284 140 grain Remington Core Lokt BC
    By Gibo in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-03-2019, 03:52 PM
  3. FS: Remington 243 Core-Lokt 100gr
    By time out in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-04-2017, 09:51 AM
  4. FS: New 25x rounds Remington core-lokt for .260
    By dale in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2017, 07:22 PM
  5. Wanted .270 Remington core-lokt
    By Dama dama in forum Projectile and Factory Ammo Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-01-2015, 05:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!