Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: First time reloading lead projectiles. Some Issues, help

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    thanks guys. At least I'm not the first with this problem. Just the first time I have not used copper jacketed and generally boat tailed as well.
    Have followed up those links and if I decide to continue down this path I will go shopping.
    Z
    You need a Lyman M die like zimmer said but not the Lee it is only a flaring tool not a proper expander you will
    still have the problem of the neck squeezing down the bullets, Your local Gun shop can order you one,
    Or I can get you one, you need the 35 cal Short if available the standard one will work but is better suited to the30/06 length case.
    Cheers
    Robert.

Bother, the Lee die arrived on Friday.
    Was thinking slight opening of the neck, set the bullet, then crimp.
    Already have the standard neck size and expander, coupled with de-capping.
    Z

No problem using the Lee, once started in the flared bit the bullet is forced down parallel by the seating die and the neck holds it tight. I dont believe It will squeeze the bullet smaller and even if it did the sudden violent acceleration on firing will expand it again.

I use a chamfering tool I got for removing crimped in primers half my life ago
    It just 45degree angles the case mouth so they slip in
    Works great in 30 cal
    I still struggle with straight walled cases

You need a case mouth Expansion die aka belling die
    Lee makes a Universal one they are cheap as chips

Just bell the makes the mouth of the case the 1st mm or 2 bigger so the projectile starts easy

Quick follow up,
    Finally got out to empty the first lot of loads I made with charges of between 9, 10, 11 and 12 gr of TB under the 220gr gas checked HP lead bullets.
    9 gr was about 1040 fps and 12gr was about 1280 fps. (Only fired a couple so velocities very aprox.)
    Using my ear with the Chrono I think the 10 gr loads where right on the edge of subsonic.

Last night I went and loaded a few more to take away this weekend. At this point I have not got the Lyman M die, Just used the Lee flaring tool.
    I gave all the cases a genital touch to open the mouth and what a difference, no hassle with shaving lead or lube, everything when in straight and smooth. All the bullets where firm in the case, Then I just gave them a slight crimp into the bullet crimp grove.

So learning to take away is that the Lyman M die would be much easier to use as then you don't have to worry about a longer case over over working brass by over flaring the brass at the mouth of the case and then the flared brass getting crimped back in again. You only need a very small amount of flare to easy the bullets in.
    (NB I do check my sized brass in a Wilson case gauge for length + head space and I cycle them through the lever action as well)

At this point for the small number lead bullets I shoot the Lee Flare die can work for me but if I was to do more regular shooting or higher volumes them the Lyman die would get purchased. ie for me doing 10-20 rounds at a time then fine.
    Z
    Tertle and zimmer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I hope you bought them dinner first!
    OMG!
    Ko Ko or was that OK, Ok, I meant to say.
    Well picked up mimms, would you believe I passed 7th form (yr 13 for the youngsters) English.
    Nothing like a bit of dyslexia to trip someone up. I normally have to re- read and then edit most of my posts at least twice for them to make sense even to me.
    Z