Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwi303
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By blair993

Thread: Forster Full legth dies - Tight?

Forster Full legth dies - Tight?

Hello all,

I've had a problem recently and I wonder If im setting these dies up wrong...

With my 260 rem my die seems to be very tight in their sizing around the case body and base especially. is this normal?

If i run the same cases through my redding die everything runs smooth and it's easy to bump the shoulder back.

My loading technique is to bump the shoulder back 2 though with a full length die (no button) then I run a mandrel to desired neck tension.

Cheers

If you size the same case twice, is it easier on the second pass? That would confirm your suggestion that the die is tighter and sizing the body down more than your redding die.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Ill give it a go but I suspect it is still tight

Am curious if other forster users have the same issue to

Bos
    Try giving a case a rub with some emery paper around the base and then some steel wool, just to take like half a thou off the dimension. That way you'll know if its just a die with tight tolerances.
    I had a similar problem when chambering Hornady vs Norma brass. Hornady chambered fine, Norma couldn't close the bolt. Gave the Norma cases the above treatment and fixed the problem. The difference was that fine that even the vernier gauge couldn't pick it up.

I've recently replaced 4 of my FLSing dies with Forster dies.
    Yes, I've found them to be tight ie at the bottom end of the sizing standards.
    In particular with my 308 die I confirmed that it sizes a tad smaller than my Redding body die. Using an internal mic and internal gauges I found there is a difference between the 2 dies. I cannot recall how much.
    The Forster may even approach the sizing of a 308 small base die.
    Initially I was concerned but using sizing wax I have had no issues.

@kiwi303 Just checked. My Forster 308W die is 3 thou smaller/tighter at the base than my Redding Body die which reflects what you are experiencing.
    Given the 308 and the 260 are the same family your Forster could have similar base dimensions.
    Last edited by zimmer; 08-07-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Am surprised its 3 thou! would you expect any differences in brass wear and loads with that much of a smaller base?

Or just carry on bumping the shoulders back 2 though and be done with it?

Cheers for the reply Zimmer I appreciate your insight

I FLS every reload now so cases are virtually factory spec for each firing, except for my dicking with neck tension. Case capacity always the same.
    I think if you were running a say 4 firings/neck sizing only then FLSing there could be a noticable difference as the catridge case capacity is reduced a tad when FLSing just like when starting brand new brass.

I must admit I was a little concerned when I got the Forster dies due to their "smaller" dimensions but so far all good. If in the long term there is some detriment for maybe overworking the brass I have yet to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi303 View Post
    Am surprised its 3 thou! would you expect any differences in brass wear and loads with that much of a smaller base?

Or just carry on bumping the shoulders back 2 though and be done with it?

Cheers for the reply Zimmer I appreciate your insight
    How do you determine it should be 2 thou? Yeah I know that what everyone says it should be but I actually try to size less.
    I used to size so there was just a wee bit of bolt resistance as the handle reached fully down. I have gone away from this and now push back just enough for the bolt to freely close.

I use a hornady head space comparitor, zero the vernier on a fired case and slowly adjust the die down until i get -2 though. I have a hornady press and each die has its own bushing so once I set it everything is pretty constant.

Fair enough about bumping it back less it makes a lot of sense

I shoot a lot of PRS and field matches so reload speed is often key and its possible to get dirty ammo. I find 2 thou pretty functional
    zimmer likes this.

I think for your application 2 thou is appropriate.
    kiwi303 likes this.

have you sized with the forster fired that case and then resized with the forster?
    My new 260 i had to small base size all my brass but have not had to do it again yet. been 1800 rounds.
    zimmer likes this.

That i haven't tried Blair. I might just try that on a single round and see how that goes