Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Full Length Sizing Between Rifles.

Gidday,

I've just built another 300wsm, shorter compact version than my other long range one. Both are Tikka T3.
    Currently in my older gun I just bump shoulder back 2-3 thou when resizing. My question is with my new build, I'm not using new brass but have got my old brass that's done 2-3 firings. Should I be full length sizing back to SAAMI for the new gun? Bumped brass chambers fine new gun.

If it chambers fine then good to go man.

Would be an interesting test to measure the tolerance of the 2 chambers out of curiosity. Im betting they are pretty close

Ideally brass fired in either will go in the other. There will be a minimum shoulder bumping amount with allows the cases to go in either gun.

Just got some 300 win mag brass from a mate , sized it full length and there is no way the bolt goes past half cock. Both rifles are Tikka T3s. I have just ordered a RCBS trim die which should solve the problem. These dies allow you to trim your shells and most importantly they re form the shell back to factory specs. I have them for 308 and 3006 and they work well, we used them a lot when we used semi autos so we didn't get caught with a tight shell .

northdude
    Id fl it rhen if you get problems rhats one thing eliminated ive got 2 22 hornets brass fired in one of them will fit both rifles but not the other way around same with my 6.5s

As @Nick-D said - try the empty brass that you have from your other WSM after sizing and see if it chambers ok. If not then FL size and bump shoulder as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Just got some 300 win mag brass from a mate , sized it full length and there is no way the bolt goes past half cock. Both rifles are Tikka T3s. I have just ordered a RCBS trim die which should solve the problem. These dies allow you to trim your shells and most importantly they re form the shell back to factory specs. I have them for 308 and 3006 and they work well, we used them a lot when we used semi autos so we didn't get caught with a tight shell .
    Do modern magnum chambers still headspace off the belt?

Can you resize the belted area if it gets stretched out of spec?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Not sure, most of the new magnums are non belted these days and headspace off the shoulder. Normal full length dies don't seem to size that area just in front of the belt but the trim die from RBCS seems to sort those tight shells out, now my problem is finding a Trim Die.

I would full length size between two rifles.
    Only as I have had issue between 6.5x55's in the past.