Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: gonna make some ammo to suit my 7mm-08

7mm08s I have set up (4-5 now) all love 2209 in either 120 or 140gn roles. The max load I have found is 50gn 2209 with Norma brass - work up etc etc - each time 0.5-0.75MOA accuracy with Nosler BTs.

Big_Les
    I have about 25 140,s (Nosler ) , so i dont think that would be enough to work up a load . But I do have 50 x 139 boat tail interlocks (hornady) , and another 70 in spire point interlocks Hornady as well . And i got enought 2209 to build up something . Last build was 150 ELD-x pushed by 44.8 of 2209 to 2633 ft/sec . what would your guess be for the 139,s i got ?

Quote Originally Posted by LJPRMC View Post
    I have about 25 140,s (Nosler ) , so i dont think that would be enough to work up a load .
    You could work out a load for it. It would be more a load verification though.

Make sure you follow safe loading procedures and I don't take any responsibility for what others do:

1. Start with a powder/primer/case combination you have loaded before. This is so you know how fast or slow it runs compared to book loads.
    2. Looking at the load data for your projectile estimate a BELOW MAXIMUM charge that will have the required velocity. Take into consideration how that powder/primer/case combination performed prior.
    3. Load up single rounds in 0.5gr increments up to the desired load. This should only be about 5 rounds.
    4. If you make it to your desired load shoot 3 or 5 to confirm it has the required accuracy. Make sure you shoot it the way you will hunt so you can use the group to sight-in at the same time.

If it all works out you should have 15 left for hunting.

25 nosler partitions...you need THREE to work up a load...yes that is correct aTHREE.

pick middle of road load from manual...seat to same length as existing load by setting up dies using existing load.... try load at range to make sure it goes BANG and holes appear on target in direction needed...load the other 22 up the same and use them to kill 22 deer,pigs.goats. you see a load is just that...a load... if it goes BANG and projectile arrives where its needed ALL IS GOOD....
    if you want gnats nuts accurate long range load for headshooting mice at 600 yards....you going to need all your ducks in a row and everything needs to be perfect,including wind ,weather and current state of the tides.....for shooting animals out to 300 yards YOU DONT NEED PRECISION ammunition...you need good ammunition that goes BANG and puts pill in right place..and right place on a deer needs no more than 2" at hundy to be OK out to 300.
    I bought a 10 pack sample of partitions and didnt even bother with testing...just duplicated another 150grn load from my previous loads and went out and shot good stag with the load.... sometimes we make life really hard for little real gain.

I use the 139gr btsp with W760 in 2 rifles, only as I have a bit if it. Works well although I would use 2208 if supply wasn't an issue.

Greetings @LJPRMC,
    I suggest that you park the AR2209 for now as it will take a little testing to validate the load data due to its change in speed. Both Hodgdon and Nosler give 42.2 grains and 42 grains of AR2208 respectively as max for the 140 grain in the 7mm-08. Velociti for 42 grains of AR2208 corrected for a 22 inch barrel was 2,770 and 2,760 respectively. Expect to lose around 50 fps for each grain of powder below 42 grains. I am pretty much with Micky above with his suggestion although I would probably go with 41 ot 42 grains having already loaded 42.5 grains with the 140 grain Remington and mirrored the Nosler and Hodgdon results. A lot of handloaders make things sound a lot more complicated than it really is, especially in easy to load cartridges like the 7mm-08.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I resighted in rifle today after fitting a suppressor.... has a box of loads I made up with same recipe as all others in that weight of projectile.sick of having bits n pieces boxes of projectiles so just loaded them up... last three shots were inside half inch,two touching each other.....
    simple is good.