Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gordons reloading tool

Walking my rifle

Gordons reloading tool

Anyone use GRT? Is it very complicated?
    I looked at the old quickload at some point and put it in the too hard basket as i usually buy bulk projectiles so don't have to fiddle with loads very often but seeing as its free i thought i might have a look.
    What input data does it need? and is it any good?
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

It's pretty good for a free tool I've found it user friendly. Never used quick load so can't compare. At the end of the day those tools are as good as the information the user inputs
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

It is a superb tool. Inputs are straightforward (measure your case capacity and velocity) but to get the best out of it you do need to put some effort into learning how to drive it. I've had Quickload for 20 years but seldom use it these days, GRT is preferable.
    7mmwsm, woods223 and Cam86NZ like this.

Found it pretty consistent between what it says and the actual results.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

In terms of ease of use, it’s similar to quick load. I prefer GRT because not only is it free, it has more features such as creating custom
    Cartridges for wildcatters. It also has a discussion channel on discord if you need help with something.

Never used quickload but have found GRT easy to understand and pick up. NFI how precise it is.
    I run it from a usb memory card. That's the easiest way.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Great tool, and the learning curve is really quick.

Downloaded it when I was looking at new loads for a 6.5 swede, and the data was pretty much right on the money.

As for inputs from the user - barrel length and twist, and cartridge. Then you can select the powder manufacturer and powder type, bullet manufacturer, bullet type and weight, from the built in database.
    At that point you start tutu'ing with powder charge, powder types etc, paying attention to pressure, velocity etc.

STC
    Just FYI from the page:

"Important announcement
    I just wanted to reach out and let you know that my husband Gordon passed away on January 19th 2022.

Until further notice, this site stays online. Please note that Patreon contributions have been paused.

Initially, no additional submissions should be made to the GRTLab, or Translations, as no one has access to service the data.
    Therefore, it will be impossible to update Powder Models, Calibers, and Bullet to the GRT database as an official release until the possibilities of continuing Gordon's fine work are explored.

Take care!
    Chrissi"
    shananah likes this.

That might be outdated, as according to the discussions on discord, there are volunteers who have been working on submissions and updates.
    Oldbloke and STC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    Anyone use GRT? Is it very complicated?
    I looked at the old quickload at some point and put it in the too hard basket as i usually buy bulk projectiles so don't have to fiddle with loads very often but seeing as its free i thought i might have a look.
    What input data does it need? and is it any good?
    In answer to your actual question about input data; as much or as little as you want. The minimum obvious information such as calibre, bullet weight, powder choice and quantity will get you initial output data. But the accuracy of the output data will be improved with additional information such as seating depth, barrel length, and tailoring case volume based on your own measurements rather than estimated averages in the calibre database. You can get as detailed as you want as you get more familiar with the program.

That's great news.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.

For those not on discord;
    Name:  434D6262-F548-41BF-B3B4-E23AB5B6A61D.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  242.0 KB
    Name:  6D0FAF3E-13BD-4781-81AE-D45B16365660.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  185.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    STC likes this.

@BW thanks. Wow, that is fantastic news. Sounds like a complete rewrite. Bloody lot of work.

I gather they didn't have the password or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    @BW thanks. Wow, that is fantastic news. Sounds like a complete rewrite. Bloody lot of work.

I gather they didn't have the password or something?
    I’m no programmer, but I think it’s something like that. Something like reverse engineering and rebuilding the core engine of the program. Perhaps Gordon was the only one that knew how it really worked, or he hid the keys so no one else could drive it?

I use both, have used qload the most as it’s most familiar to me. GRT has been really handy as it has powders that aren’t in qload. You still need to validate theoretical loads with actual results of course but using either has saved me a lot of time and components. I see you’re in Hamilton, happy to meet up and run through it with you.
    NewbieZAR likes this.