Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Greek .303

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @johnd, the projectiles are fine. I buy the 174s (projectiles only) in bulk, and just clean them up in the wet tumbler. Couple of hours with a teaspoon of citric acid and dishwash soap, and they come out like new.

Reloaded into better cases, they are perfectly good enough for service rifle etc. Even managed a first-round hit on a 400yd gong with them a couple of weeks ago

I’ve shot a bit of the 30-06 through my 03 Springfield and it grouped really well (only went back to 200)

it is bang on at 25m with my no4 and i have had some hang fires and some a bit more boomy than normal. I went through all of mine and did a shake test. Some have wet powder but not that many. Maybe 2 or 3 a bag. i've had 3 split cases though.

From what I have read the Yanks hoovered up all the good HXP 303 and we got the leftovers.

it is cheap surplus that was greek made and stored. Assume everything was made by some guy half asleep and doing his bit to help bankrupt the germans.

other than that i've never had anyone i know bust a bolt

Why the fuck are you guys using shit ammo ?

You dont live in the third world,don't do third world things like using unsafe ammo in old guns.

Cheap ammo has a habit of doing expensive damage.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

I won't touch it. Too many split cases, too many hangfires and too many perforated primers. I'm not precious about the rifle, it just seems like I'm doing something that is trying hard to bite me.
    zimmer, Micky Duck and norsk like this.
    I'd like to verify your clam.

I had 3 split right down the side, and had a couple blow the primers out. Thinking bad brass plus bad headspace. That's outve about 400 rounds I plunked away one day. About 10 15 odd fail to fires

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post

You dont live in the third world,don't do third world things like using unsafe ammo in old guns.

With the lack of components, and frankly the lack of factory options, for many it is shoot this or shoot nothing
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    With the lack of components, and frankly the lack of factory options, for many it is shoot this or shoot nothing
    I would rather have both eyes and all my fingers than go shooting.

Your playing with fire.And burning all that ammo is what should have been done to it. GC bought all the shit the yanks wouldnt touch by the sounds of it.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post

It’s not shit ammo. It’s surplus and it’s cheaper and more available than anything else. I’ve actually only biffed a couple of rounds out of many many boxes. If you shoot thousands of rounds a year that’s a lot of reloading and it’s not easy to buy projectiles here at the moment. However if you’ve got access to projectiles and good powder or factory MEN or roadway green .303 ball ammo then feel free to offer them to members!!

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    It’s not shit ammo. It’s surplus and it’s cheaper and more available than anything else. I’ve actually only biffed a couple of rounds out of many many boxes. If you shoot thousands of rounds a year that’s a lot of reloading and it’s not easy to buy projectiles here at the moment. However if you’ve got access to projectiles and good powder or factory MEN or roadway green .303 ball ammo then feel free to offer them to members!!

Honesty your version of good and bad differ's hugely from mine.Would you run salvaged petrol from the junkyard in a classic car?

Do you mean Radway Green? I think they stopped producing 303 in the 1970s.Feel free to keep telling yourself its good ammo,some of it I saw looked like it had been tumbled to clean the cases.That told me all I needed to know, both about the ammo and GCs scruples
    Micky Duck likes this.

by all means buy it...then pull projectiles,clean them up and reload them.... I was put of chinasport in 7.62x39mm after seeing a steel case with extra bit/tab on neck that had to be folded inside makeing that side of neck double thickness....the pressure generated when it was fired must have been up there....
    havent used really cheap/milserp stuff since...strangely the yellow bow norinco stuff is way better.in .223 it is in league of its own.

Just so you know, heres whats going on inside the ones that dont rattle.

Name:  IMG_5201.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  1.66 MB

Name:  IMG_5202.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  2.43 MB

I think I can dry it out again, but the weight / grains might be wrong
    norsk likes this.

Another thing to ponder, even if the case rattles some could be wet. Maybe the steam effect turns the rifle into a steam punk gun?

I am going to pull what I have and go from there.... looks like I still have a bit of home time with ACC.

Looking down into some "dry" cases showed internal wall corrosion, and they can be biffers as well.

Like I said I was late to the party getting this stuff, and my main aim ( see what I did there) was to have a supply of cases.
    What you have at home in stock could be good to go.
    zimmer likes this.