Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Grendel Vs 223

Grendel Vs 223

I like the sound of a Grendel. How much of an improvement would one be over a 223 shooting heavier bullets?
    This would be out of a short barrel bush hunting set up.
    My gut feeling would be that there would be no real discernable difference over sub 200 m ranges.
    Would this be a fair assumption?

The "advantage" of the Grendel/6.8SPC etc is the 120+ grain projectiles "might" have a bit more penetration if you are shooting bigger animals. I've now shot two big reg stags with less than optimum bullet placement with the 6.8SPC (for all intents and purposes identical to a Grendel) and in both cases go away with it. Im not too sure I would have with a 223. Cheers

I haven't hunted first hand with the 6.5 Grendel but compared to the .223 it has better muzzle energy, better BC, better sectional density.

The Grendel typically has 20% more muzzle energy than the 7.62x39 due to higher muzzle velocity, and the better BC allows it to hold that velocity gain down range.
    When I changed from .223 to 7.62x39 for hunting goats and deer, I was astounded at the extra real world killing power of the 7.62x39.

I expect you would see the same performance jump between the .223 and 6.5.
    Micky Duck and 20 Bore like this.

The 7.62x39 is I find really underrated in real world performance, I've never had any issues with it with dropping things - but also I'm not taking dodgy shots and a few inches offline for my shot placement is still a killing impact. I'd rather take the next animal than have to chase one hahahaha - although having said that I'm not chasing much right now as I have the same issue as the bloody ferries mechanical unreliability.

I suspect the grendel will offer the same advantage, the bigger the hole the more light gets in and the more the bits inside leak out.
    Micky Duck and 20 Bore like this.

Yeah, interesting these are all around the same usage as 30-30, 7 waters, 38-55, 35rem

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    The 7.62x39 is I find really underrated in real world performance, I've never had any issues with it with dropping things - but also I'm not taking dodgy shots and a few inches offline for my shot placement is still a killing impact. I'd rather take the next animal than have to chase one hahahaha - although having said that I'm not chasing much right now as I have the same issue as the bloody ferries mechanical unreliability.

I suspect the grendel will offer the same advantage, the bigger the hole the more light gets in and the more the bits inside leak out.
    Yep, I'm sure I'd be just as happy with a mini in 7.62 x 39

I think the key to these cartridges (and the 223 for that matter) is to limit your shots to not too much further than 200M - the energy put on target is just so much less than a big centrefire . . .
    Micky Duck likes this.

I've never lost an animal with the 7.62x39. I've lost a red spiker hit solidly with a .223, and for me, that was one too many.
    I personally find the 7.62x39 the perfect mix of stopping power without the massive meat loss caused by the bigger calibers. I suspect that the 6.5G would be on par, on the basis that you are hunting at ranges under 200m.

Back in the days before the great confiscation, I had Mini-30's, and an AR15 chambered in 7.62x39. The AR was an awesome kit for goat culling. One afternoon I happened upon three hinds - three shots in just over three seconds and three deer down. Took me three hours to bone out all the meat Good times!

7.62 x 39 would be cheap to feed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    7.62 x 39 would be cheap to feed too.
    PPU 123gn soft points @$27 box at reloaders is pretty good - advertised velocity is 2,350 - my magnetospeed said 2,300 from a 16" barrel with a DPT can on the end. I got 5 boxes should do me a while

I think if I did a Grendel again, I'd stick to 90-100gr bullets to get a boost in speed and just limit my range. I used 123gr SST's back in the day. They were going pretty slow out of my 16" and didn't kill things very convincingly. Granted all the shots I took were 200m+.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post

Yeah they make a great bush gun out to 150m sort of thing and factory ammo is probably about the cheapest option out there

The advantage to a Grendel is its ability to hunt out to about 400m with the right load
    The disadvantage is factory ammo options are limited and expensive
    So it’s really a handloaders caliber

As far as vs 223 it’s just a far bigger punch 100-120gn vs 50-80 odd (if you have a fast twist rifle)
    Nothing wrong with 223 but Grendel is quite a bit more
    Maybe like a 243 vs a 308 same sort of thing
    Chur Bay likes this.

If I went back to the Grendel I would run an 85 hammer and hammer them down lol. Seriously at around 3100 I would say lights out.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    If I went back to the Grendel I would run an 85 hammer and hammer them down lol. Seriously at around 3100 I would say lights out.
    Where do you buy those?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I think if I did a Grendel again, I'd stick to 90-100gr bullets to get a boost in speed and just limit my range. I used 123gr SST's back in the day. They were going pretty slow out of my 16" and didn't kill things very convincingly. Granted all the shots I took were 200m+.
    I'm hoping to mitigate your sst experience by using the eldm but I would prefer to run 100gr BTs if I could get some