Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

half-assed range report

10/22 + 12" barrel + subsonics = 1010fps

20" 6.5x47 + 42.1gr 2209 + 140gr Amax .25mm off lands = 2800fps. New barrel shoots much better than the old one, nothing more than about 1.5" except some old loads that were all different charges/lengths and went like 2". And a 2 foot 5 shot group when my can was a bit loose. Whoops.

14.5" AR15 + 55gr Hornady factory = 2850fps

Leith Valley range = the worst shooting I've ever seen

Wildman did you see that guy shooting the .308 offhand with half the butt over the top of his shoulder? Also people trying to sight in shooting offhand and blatant E violations. I knew there was a reason I didn't shoot at public ranges. Also haha "IT'S LIKE AN ASSAULT RIFLE" re: AR

Yes this is in the wrong section, no, I don't care

Yeah, your shooting was the best I've seen from someone else up there in about 6 months. When you go up there you understand why there are so many dumb questions about calibre etc.

Did you like the pistol grip on the other 10/22?

I caught my smelly armpits from Cowboy Tone's Avatar
    Did you get to hold the 10/22 Gimp? I have a hogue stock on mine but is about 2-3 inches to short. Wouldn't mind a different stock (Seeing as though I got lucky with a good shooter) or might have to extend my stock somehow.

It looked pretty well done I guess and he had nice sights (and a flashhider haha) but I don't think he's aware that you don't need to have a bit of plastic between the grip and the butt anymore. Also if I was going to put a pistol grip on a 10/22 I'd get a Nordic Components chassis or something and use an AR15 grip/stock. The factory 10/22 stock has pretty gross ergonomics, particularly the shape of the pistol grip and butt and the really low comb, but I haven't really found a nice aftermarket one.

The average hunter's shooting is a terrifyingly awful thing. I should go up there more often for the hilarious comments

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Did you get to hold the 10/22 Gimp? I have a hogue stock on mine but is about 2-3 inches to short. Wouldn't mind a different stock (Seeing as though I got lucky with a good shooter) or might have to extend my stock somehow.

Sorry? I'm not sure I understand your question. I have a 10/22 with factory wood stock. There was a guy at the range today with a factory wood stock that had a pistol grip grafted onto it.

He is on an extremely tight budget I think which would explain it a bit.

They look like fun, kinda like Lego, you can just bits on where ever you like...

Its amazing how often you have to tell people that an A4 sheet is minute of deer

It's amazing how often they seem to miss an A4 sheet of paper at 25 meters too

Edit: I'm being a jerk, I'm shooting like shit right now and my guns are all broken

Gimp. That's pretty good speed out of the 6.5 Lapua? Is that load pretty hot? Weren't you getting similar speed when your old barrel was 24". 2800fps with the 140 should give you useable energy a ways out there? I hope to get about around 2800 from my .260 when it's built.

6.5 is good, so is your shotgun/'s....

I caught my smelly armpits from Cowboy Tone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Sorry? I'm not sure I understand your question. I have a 10/22 with factory wood stock. There was a guy at the range today with a factory wood stock that had a pistol grip grafted onto it.
    I find the hogue stock a bit cramped for me. I was thinking maybe having a pistol grip would help alleviate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Gimp. That's pretty good speed out of the 6.5 Lapua? Is that load pretty hot? Weren't you getting similar speed when your old barrel was 24". 2800fps with the 140 should give you useable energy a ways out there? I hope to get about around 2800 from my .260 when it's built.
    Yes, with basically the same load (previously 42.2 grains, probably a different seating depth.) I was getting almost exactly the same speed from a 24" barrel. Tussock cut his 26" barrel to 22" and lost no speed at all - his load is extremely similar to mine as well in regards to powder charge, I don't know about seating depth. 6.5x47 is very efficient. The 20" barrel with Roedale suppressor balances like a 24" with no suppressor and is only slightly (1") longer.

At that load there are no visible pressure signs - no ejector mark/stamping on the case head, primer still not flat. Some cratering but I get that at starting loads - the rifle has an oversize firing pin hole I think.

There is no published data for the x47 with 2209 but I imagine it is a fairly warm load. Temperature was low to mid 20's in the sun today so I'd say it'd be safe year round in Nz IN MY RIFLE WORK UP FOR YOUR OWN, PEOPLE.

It still has the "1000 foot pounds" at 650 meters (700 odd yards) at sea level if you believe in that, bullet should expand out to about 800 meters (1600f/s velocity barrier) at sea level.

No recoil with suppressor/good recoil pad. First 4 shots touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I find the hogue stock a bit cramped for me. I was thinking maybe having a pistol grip would help alleviate this.
    Possible. Hard to say. Your trigger hand would still be in basically the same position. Have you tried a different body position when shooting? Bring your body more directly behind the rifle? Might make a difference. I find I need a much shorter stock from that position than shooting angled/bladed and it also is much better for recoil control.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yes, with basically the same load (previously 42.2 grains, probably a different seating depth.) I was getting almost exactly the same speed from a 24" barrel. Tussock cut his 26" barrel to 22" and lost no speed at all - his load is extremely similar to mine as well in regards to powder charge, I don't know about seating depth. 6.5x47 is very efficient. The 20" barrel with Roedale suppressor balances like a 24" with no suppressor and is only slightly (1") longer.

At that load there are no visible pressure signs - no ejector mark/stamping on the case head, primer still not flat. Some cratering but I get that at starting loads - the rifle has an oversize firing pin hole I think.

There is no published data for the x47 with 2209 but I imagine it is a fairly warm load. Temperature was low to mid 20's in the sun today so I'd say it'd be safe year round in Nz IN MY RIFLE WORK UP FOR YOUR OWN, PEOPLE.

It still has the "1000 foot pounds" at 650 meters (700 odd yards) at sea level if you believe in that, bullet should expand out to about 800 meters (1600f/s velocity barrier) at sea level.

No recoil with suppressor/good recoil pad. First 4 shots touching.
    You shot a goat at 700 yards with a .243. I'm sure it had way less impact energy than 1000ft/lbs. It is a good guide, although bullet construction and shot placement has a bigger role to play.

650 yards is plenty for hunting and you don't need big impact energy for steel. Sounds like the Lapua is shooting how it was meant to the first time. Good to hear.

You get out yesterday gimp?