Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Hand prime or Bench prime

I have a Hornady hand primer does a good job the Lee is ok but you need special case holders and I have worn out 3 cams on mine so gave it to a friend, also prime on my Dillon 550 if it is set up with the size of primer I am
    using faster than a bench tool, the RCBS bench tool is a good machine as is the Forster have used friends ones both work very well, the single primer tools are fine but you need to have clean hands to avoid contaminating
    the priming compound I have done it a couple of times in the past, I avoid touching primers with bare hands unless they are squeaky clean and dry.

I could use latex gloves. I have them for tiling keeps the adhesive and grout of them as that shit really drys your hands out.
    Worse than bloody cow shit
    Mind you I'd only need one glove but then I'd look like Micheal Jackson waiting for the zombies to attack
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

I wouldn't get too worried about the old primer contamination chestnut. Unless your pores are absolutely ouzing gunk and the rounds intend to be loaded for zillions of years it just isn't an issue. The priming compund is sealed with a lacquer like substance. I avoid touching the ends (more from a safety point of view) but that about it. I have tried to kill primers by soaking them in oil and water and the oiled ones go off next day whilst the wet ones generally are subdued. Hard critters to kill.
    tetawa likes this.

Yes the best killer of primers is water, I once stored a cartridge box of 100 primed cases in the garage over winter all 100 were duds come summer, oil WD 40 CRC 556 don't have any effect short term,
    I think it's the salt in sweat that does the damage cotton gloves would be better than latex.
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Yes the best killer of primers is water, I once stored a cartridge box of 100 primed cases in the garage over winter all 100 were duds come summer, oil WD 40 CRC 556 don't have any effect short term,
    I think it's the salt in sweat that does the damage cotton gloves would be better than latex.
    Yeah, keep the latex for other uses.

Do your reloading after your sauna then

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I used to prime on the Rockchucker but took so long, so lee prime for me now, have heard the stories , I wash it out most times after use.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Forster bench mounted primer if I want to rattle through a bunch at once, When just a few to do and the Forster is set up for a different caliber I'll just run them thru the press.
    Just a note about deprime / resize / prime in one movement on the press, it can be a bit messy especially for beginners.
    i would recomend for them to do each step seperately untill used to the methods.
    I actually still prefer to do it as seperate steps, and clean pockets etc as well.
    Pengy and Gibo like this.

I throw 50 in the Lee hand primer tray and smash them all in to the base of preped cases.
    puku likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Well only if I've pick it while handling primers, could like get confused and then I'd have exploding snot
    Hahaha - That'd clear your sinuses
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yeah, keep the latex for other uses.
    Yep ok I don't trust customs I recon the recycle theirs I'll take my own instead

Gone But Not Forgotten
    You load the K&N one primer at a time - no tray. No problem though using your fingers. If you want a more nicely machined single hand primer, the Sinclair or better still the 21st Century tool.

10-Ring yep I looked at them but man there bloody expensive ah, best I can justify is a K&M.
    I like the look of there chamfering and flash hole holes tools as well.
    But need to save up!

I run a hornady hand primer and will do 100 cases at a time. Nice and easy, heaps of feel, fast and don't have to touch the primers. Can set it to feed singles but keep a full tray. Although I prefer to just run it one after the other. Point away from face, I've never had a safety issue.
    Cyclops likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    I throw 50 in the Lee hand primer tray and smash them all in to the base of preped cases.
    Yup same here. I clean the primer pockets before priming so that doesn't suit doing it on the press

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Feather or Shoot and Cyclops like this.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone