Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Hand priming tool or press

Cheers guys, some real helpful stuff there
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Cheers guys, some real helpful stuff there
    there also the bench primers with the feed tube rcbs do one and forster.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    there also the bench primers with the feed tube rcbs do one and forster.
    I'm not reloading heaps for targets just for hunting so its not about speed for me just want good accuracy for shooting deer.
    If hand priming will benifit my accuracy Im all for it but if not I don't mind the slowness of the press

I'm not reloading heaps for targets just for hunting so its not about speed for me just want good accuracy for shooting deer.
    If hand priming will benifit my accuracy Im all for it but if not I don't mind the slowness of the press
    keep using the press. i have the same one
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Grab the lee hand prime tool and case holders.It’s a good tool. Plenty of others that work well. Sinclair, RCBS...

Thanks everyone for your input, I might stick to the press for now if there is no real benifit in the performance of the ammo as a result. Maybe I will consider changing to a hand priming tool at a later date.

Thanks again fellas

Got the T7. Nothing wrong with a press priming. Uniform your pockets with a Sinclair PPU and you will get the necessary feel as it seats. Any problems send down your press to check. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Got the T7. Nothing wrong with a press priming. Uniform your pockets with a Sinclair PPU and you will get the necessary feel as it seats. Any problems send down your press to check. LOL.
    I just used a lyman primer pocket uniformer before seating the primers. Is that any good?

LEE Auto Bench Prime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk I would probably go for one of these if starting anew.

Cheers @flock but if I do get a hand primer I think it will be the 21st century, thanks for your post though.

Thanks everyone for your input, I might stick to the press for now if there is no real benifit in the performance of the ammo as a result. Maybe I will consider changing to a hand priming tool at a later date.
    Thanks again fellas
    I’d say there is very little measurable accuracy advantage between the two.
    However, if you enjoy solidly machined tools that excel at a single operation and you can afford it, then go for it.
    I like to sit and deprime or prime a hundred cases at a time watching the telly. My press isn’t permanently mounted and only comes out as required, so it saves me one step when it does.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

There may not be a measurable accuracy advantage between the two for most shooters and applications but reloading is all about getting a whole lot of things, some important, so less so, consistantly right. Additive.

I'm firmly in the hand priming tool camp although I've recently lashed out for a very good bench primer. Will post a pic. Started out with a 310 tool and now use a 21st Century tool.

Had an opportunity to measure primer depths on a mate's reloads. He press primes and swears he has excellent feel. I measured several of his primers at an unbelievable 15 thou crushed.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.