Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Has anyone used 160gr TMKs in a 284?

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Yes, RL17 & Superformance are a step up over 2209, at least 50 fps in my experience. Some 284s “like” RL17 over Superformance and some the other way round. I’ve found Superformance more consistent in the 3 284s I’ve done load dev for, but if RL17 works it usually is slightly quicker
    Hi. Have you tried Superformance with lighter projectiles like 140gn?

Not TMKs, but I'm running 162 ELD-X in my .284 Win T3 with 2213SC. It's a mild load, but does around .6 MOA for a 5 shot group and knocks stuff over just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Hi. Have you tried Superformance with lighter projectiles like 140gn?
    No, only with 160 TMKs and 162 AMAX

A bit of an update. I worked up some loads I'd had some success with previously with the 162ELDMs. Once again, there was absolutely no consistency and nothing even worth talking about. You all know the gritted teeth and frustration that goes with that.
    After a cool down period (of the barrel), and a few patches of hoppe's through the barrel, I fired off the 3 fowlers.
    I then put the first ladder load down range with the 160TMK.
    Through my ear protection I could hear the angels singing through my barrels harmonics. They all pretty much went into a slight ragged hole, with an SD of 9.
    Obviously with a smile on the dial at this new found and immediate success, I fired the next few loads which opened up then closed again to a final 3 round coverleaf result. This load averaged at 2914 ft/s, with an ES of 5 and SD of 2. (3 rd group only at this stage, and no pressure signs). It was an emotional moment. I wept with the sheer joy only a handloader can know at such numbers, and I was just glad I'd worn my depends, as I might have pissed myself with excitement.

Hello Sierra 160gr TMK.

RL17, Lapua brass, Federal magnum primer, 160 tmk 10 thou off the lands. It's worth mentioning that most of the groups fired only went above 1 MOA a couple of times. So I think it's got really good potential.

It was coldish... 2 degrees. So I wonder if it would be so accurate when warmer.

The proof is always in backing it up, so I'll check back when I've fired 5 round confirmation groups... with hopeful success.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Hi... not as yet as there is none around in Chch. Hopefully all the different powders show up in the next few weeks. I've been told that RL17 and 2209 are similar in performance. I'll definately try it though. I'd be really interested in the load if you'd like to PM me.
    Get me an unopened bottle of 2206H, and I'll trade you an unopened bottle of 2209.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Get me an unopened bottle of 2206H, and I'll trade you an unopened bottle of 2209.
    Sorry... No can do mate. All tapped out in Chch!

I'll be trying the 160tmk out very shortly in my 284.
    Currently using the last of my 162Amax and H414....

I tried RL17 but went away because of supply issues, might be sorted now.....but Belmont is just down the road from me and they sell H414 repackaged cheaper than anywhere else.
    Using Tapatalk

Great news, watching with interest as I have new-to-me barrell in 284 and haven't yet bought any projectiles as yet as the load data that came with the barrell is the the noe redundant A-Max's. Looks like the TMK's may be a good place to start.

Hmm may have to try TMKs with 2209

Quote Originally Posted by ihmsakiwi View Post
    Great news, watching with interest as I have new-to-me barrell in 284 and haven't yet bought any projectiles as yet as the load data that came with the barrell is the the noe redundant A-Max's. Looks like the TMK's may be a good place to start.
    Nathan Foster has written that performance on shooting game is on par with the AMAX. I've never fired an amax, so couldn't comment personally.

Nathan Foster has written that performance on shooting game is on par with the AMAX. I've never fired an amax, so couldn't comment personally.
    If that is a comparable product it would definitely be worth a go. Those amax/eldms are brutal

I'm purely paper punching . F-Class rifle.

Sorry... No can do mate. All tapped out in Chch!
    Where are you looking for 2206? Gunworks and Richard Wilhelm are still showing it in stock (online catalogue).