Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Having that 'best deer hunting cal' argument with a mate. 6.5x55 vs .270win vs 308

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    The "Best calibre" is what ever rifle you are currently holding when "Mr Deersie" sticks his head up
    amen to that

if I had a 270 on my hand id certainly pull the trigger on a deer when it comes down to it it doesn't matter what gun you have as long as your confident with it and it works for you

.308 period
    Pointer and deer243 like this.

using the same brand of ammo - Hornady Superformance

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 270 Win :: 270 Win 140 gr SST® Superformance®
    270 balistics Superformance 140grn

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 6.5X55 Swedish :: 6.5 x 55 Swedish 140 GR SST® Superformance®
    6.555 Swede Superformance 140grn

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 308 Winchester :: 308 Win 165 gr SST® Superformance®
    308W Superformance 165grn

i dont see any advantage here to the Swede . . in fact the .270W beats it by a good margin using the same 140grn SST with the .308W down by only a few foot pounds, which might mean something if you shoot past 500yds and how many do that ?
    or i could search the internet for the best of my caliber and the worst of anyone elses . . you will find whatever evidence you want then . . . with experience you'll learn that caliber / rifle / scope choices are a balancing act of compromises, numbers only can be misleading.
    Last edited by rossi.45; 24-11-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    using the same brand of ammo - Hornady Superformance

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 270 Win :: 270 Win 140 gr SST® Superformance®
    270 balistics Superformance 140grn

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 6.5X55 Swedish :: 6.5 x 55 Swedish 140 GR SST® Superformance®
    6.555 Swede Superformance 140grn

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 308 Winchester :: 308 Win 165 gr SST® Superformance®
    308W Superformance 165grn

i dont see any advantage here to the Swede . . in fact the .270W beats it by a good margin using the same 140grn SST with the .308W down by only a few foot pounds, which might mean something if you shoot past 500yds and how many do that ?
    or i could search the internet for the best of my caliber and the worst of anyone elses . . you will find whatever evidence you want then . . . with experience you'll learn that caliber / rifle / scope choices are a balancing act of compromises, numbers only can be misleading.
    the simple fact is if you had any of those guns/ammo and placed a deer at 500m knew your drop and wind hold that deer would be dead no matter what cal you were using
    but id still pick up the sweed as its nicer to shoot
    timattalon likes this.

Projectile selection, ability to expand at lower velocities(A Max's) and simplicity at its best.... 308 :-)
    rossi.45 likes this.

[QUOTE=Rock river arms hunter;540143]Projectile selection, ability to expand at lower velocities(A Max's) and simplicity at its best.... 308 :
    I underestimated the .308.
    You can get those hpbt 212gn ELDX - has anyone tried this out to 1km just for beer and skittles? Interested to know how they fly tran-sonically.
    I thought these projectiles were coming but they're already here.

simplicity at its best.... 308 :

I thought these projectiles were coming but they're already here.[/QUOTE]

I thinks that's what one deer said to another

The Original Striker
    [QUOTE=Dead is better;540146]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Projectile selection, ability to expand at lower velocities(A Max's) and simplicity at its best.... 308 :
    I underestimated the .308.
    You can get those hpbt 212gn ELDX - has anyone tried this out to 1km just for beer and skittles? Interested to know how they fly tran-sonically.
    I thought these projectiles were coming but they're already here.
    ive tried the 200 eldx at around 2470fps out to 400yds. accuracy is looking promising and they have way more smack down compared to a berger 175 at 2580fps.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

I think they are all fine for the job. Somehow over the years I have arrived at the conclusion that bigger holes seem to make things go down a little more reliably especially if the shot is well off perfect.
    7mmsaum and rossi.45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I think they are all fine for the job. Somehow over the years I have arrived at the conclusion that bigger holes seem to make things go down a little more reliably especially if the shot is well off perfect.
    One fellow I sold a 450 marlin lever to told me: When you shoot something with a light calibre it can take a while to follow it and find it, when you shoot it with a 308 it is normally fairly close by, when you hit it with a 450 etc, it is almost always right where you left it.....
    mudgripz and hotsoup like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    One fellow I sold a 450 marlin lever to told me: When you shoot something with a light calibre it can take a while to follow it and find it, when you shoot it with a 308 it is normally fairly close by, when you hit it with a 450 etc, it is almost always right where you BLEW A Fraging BIG HOLE IN IT.....
    So true. I think bigger holes often leave more blood an gore indicating the spot you nailed it. If it managed to move very far there is usually a trail of red stuff.
    mudgripz and 57jl like this.

One fellow I sold a 450 marlin lever to told me: When you shoot something with a light calibre it can take a while to follow it and find it, when you shoot it with a 308 it is normally fairly close by, when you hit it with a 450 etc, it is almost always right where you left it.....
    One fellow I sold a 450 marlin lever to told me: When you shoot something with a light calibre it can take a while to follow it and find it, when you shoot it with a 308 it is normally fairly close by, when you hit it with a 450 etc, it is almost always right where you BLEW A Fraging BIG HOLE IN IT.....

So true. I think bigger holes often leave more blood an gore indicating the spot you nailed it. If it managed to move very far there is usually a trail of red stuff.
    His reference was more about that when he hit them with a big cal like the 450 marlin (not dissimilar to 45/70) the animal us usually found where it was hit and that it simply drops. I use 215gr RN Woodleighs in a 303 and my mates refer to them as a flying hammer. The animals I have hit with that have all just dropped right then, right there.

Well if it was green stuff you got it in the guts, or you just shot predator
    GravelBen likes this.

I had a experience with my 223 which I've sold the upper since but it's convinced me for my purposes of living where I live that 308 is so fantastic. I've just got a Marlin 336 SS for a bush basher gun and know that it will perform admirably:-)

Shot placement is the key. any of the mentioned Cals work fine.Not a believer in the BIGGER HOLES theory. Too many people, esp newbies starting out if using a big Cal often dont shoot them as accurate as one should. Seen and heard more wounded animals with big cals than well placed shots with lighter cals. Not hit in the right place a animal will still run. Maybe you get some more room for a slight error with a big cal but often people take shots that arent that ideal because they "have a cannon"".
    Give me a 243 on the money any day rather than a 3006 thats änywhere in the big part"" that do the trick theory
    gadgetman likes this.