Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hdy 129g SST in 6.5x55 Swede

My Tikka is sighted in for the 143 ELDX recently found some 129 gr SSTs so loaded them up with 45.5 grs AR 2209 at 76 mm OAL They shoot to the same point of impact as the 143 gr load which is great. Shot two deer the weekend before last with them at250 yards both dead on the spot. So far they are working well.
    superdiver and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I'd recommend not "forcing" the projectile back into the case. I'd recommend using a dremel to slot the sized neck twice, opposed, lube the projectile and as slowly and gently as possible, squeeze the bolt so as not to shove the projectile in, rather to ease the thing back into the case.

Then I'd play the black sharpie trick, adjusting until I found just touch, then find my working length from there. Unless I've missed something in the op descriptive, that pill is probably still 40 thou jammed. My rifles, I don't like jammed, I like jump, and even with the pills that urban myth claims need to be close to the lands, jump still works, I have a VLD jumping 120thou that is just as accurate as one jumped 40thou in the same rifle. Accuracy is helped by using the full case neck where reasonable too. Think concentricity and consistent neck tension.

Feel free to correct me you lot. Can't find my pants some days, but those nice young men in blue suits always bring me home again......
    Appreciate your comments. I think I was not clear. When I close the bolt on the cartridge I do so slowly and the projectile moves back into the neck with little effort. Definite no big push deal so don't feel I need at least with this calibre to do the dremel thing. Save that idea tho. So I have got to exactly the point you recommend. Then I have gone to my press and used the seating die to push bullet back a further 9 thou. And yes, I used a black sharpie marker to check. There is no engagement with the lands. At all. I am confident the bullet is 9 thou clear. I guess my question is whether 9 thou is enough? If accuracy is not there I am happy to keep moving the bullet incrementally back. I am ignoring the cannelure at this time. There is sufficient neck tension to hold the bullet and if I feel I need more I can use the Lee FCD to crimp the case at any point I desire. I understand Hdy putting the cannelure where they have as a universal positioning that accommodates a wide range of chambers and throats. But there is no law that it must be used, is there?

Anyway, I believe I am doing the process you describe but without the Dremel bit. Correct me if I'm still missing something.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Appreciate your comments. I think I was not clear. When I close the bolt on the cartridge I do so slowly and the projectile moves back into the neck with little effort. Definite no big push deal so don't feel I need at least with this calibre to do the dremel thing. Save that idea tho. So I have got to exactly the point you recommend. Then I have gone to my press and used the seating die to push bullet back a further 9 thou. And yes, I used a black sharpie marker to check. There is no engagement with the lands. At all. I am confident the bullet is 9 thou clear. I guess my question is whether 9 thou is enough? If accuracy is not there I am happy to keep moving the bullet incrementally back. I am ignoring the cannelure at this time. There is sufficient neck tension to hold the bullet and if I feel I need more I can use the Lee FCD to crimp the case at any point I desire. I understand Hdy putting the cannelure where they have as a universal positioning that accommodates a wide range of chambers and throats. But there is no law that it must be used, is there?

Anyway, I believe I am doing the process you describe but without the Dremel bit. Correct me if I'm still missing something.
    Had visions of pill being seated using the bolt mashed home when you used the word "forced". Pill would have been driven into the lands a very long way had that been the case. Much clearer now.
    imaca likes this.

I use the deep creek method for finding the lands.
    1. Strip down your bolt (firing pin, extractor. Everything that will put pressure on the case).
    2. Find a sized case where the bolt drops freely and you feel no click of the bolt as you extract the case.
    3. Seat a projectile too long and chamber it and extract it (you will feel a click when it extracts).
    4. Seat the projectile progressively deeper until you can no longer feel the click (you will need to be quite gentle as you approach touch).
    5. Touch will be the shortest distance where it still goes click. This value should be repeatable.

Also the Hornady 6.5x55 data is horrible. If you follow it you'll probably be under a stunning 2500fps. Let me know if you would like their 260 Remington data.
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Modern. However most 6.5*55s areong throated.
    I can't reach the lands with even 140 eldm's in my Howa.
    e.g. at some point the projectile is not contacting the neck or the lands!

Shoots fine

Dont over think it! Forget the cannelure, its just some fancy line around your boolit for another purpose, and has no relevance with your reloads. It is preferable to have your bullet seated bearing on the neck of the case, to the same depth as your caliber ie, 6.5mm of bearing surface. Does it fit your mag? one has to assume so. Go shoot some shit, I think you will be mildly surprised at how well it will shoot with lots of jump.
    257weatherby, Danny and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I'd recommend not "forcing" the projectile back into the case. I'd recommend using a dremel to slot the sized neck twice, opposed, lube the projectile and as slowly and gently as possible, squeeze the bolt so as not to shove the projectile in, rather to ease the thing back into the case.

Then I'd play the black sharpie trick, adjusting until I found just touch, then find my working length from there. Unless I've missed something in the op descriptive, that pill is probably still 40 thou jammed. My rifles, I don't like jammed, I like jump, and even with the pills that urban myth claims need to be close to the lands, jump still works, I have a VLD jumping 120thou that is just as accurate as one jumped 40thou in the same rifle. Accuracy is helped by using the full case neck where reasonable too. Think concentricity and consistent neck tension.

Feel free to correct me you lot. Can't find my pants some days, but those nice young men in blue suits always bring me home again......
    Chur, that is pretty much what I do although I didn't do the sharpie thing.
    I did about 10 measures and took the median, I guessed a bit about the jump, I'd need to look at my notes but I think I was about 1.3mm which I why I was interested in what you did, certainly not going to correct anybody.
    Pants are over rated

YAAAWN....find a loaded round of similer projectile type that your rifle has previously shown it will group well with...use this round to set up your bullet seating die....if it fits in your magazine ....try it...if it groups ok....write down that overall length and STICK TO IT.
    its been said before...if your completely bamboozled by seating depth...seat to cannalure and go shoot stuff.
    Husky1600 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    YAAAWN....find a loaded round of similer projectile type that your rifle has previously shown it will group well with...use this round to set up your bullet seating die....if it fits in your magazine ....try it...if it groups ok....write down that overall length and STICK TO IT.
    its been said before...if your completely bamboozled by seating depth...seat to cannalure and go shoot stuff.
    Well that's one approach, lol. And why not...