Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By terryf
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: HELP............Your advice needed about using a 12 gauge roll crimping tool.

HELP............Your advice needed about using a 12 gauge roll crimping tool.

As this is a totally new area for me, this stupid boy has to ask if 12 gauge cases "crimped with a Roll crimping tool
    Name:  roll over crimp.JPG
Views: 812
Size:  29.3 KB
    are able to be reloaded, or does this type of crimp make them a "one off use"?

Further, are there any disadvantages, ( apart from having to use a "shot over wad"), or advantages in crimping with these as opposed to a 6 / 8 star crimp?

Thank You.

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Not one off use but most rolled cartridges were 65mm in length of the older variety.

The roll crimp will open up fine on firing. Its finding components to reload them with.
    Standard wads etc are made for use in 70mm casings - then you would need to manufacture the top paper wad on which the roll rests.

Just too much fiddling unless you absolutely have to.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Not that fiddly really. I use pinex discs as over powder a dipper of shot and card over shot, a quick Wizz and done. The fiddly bit is trimming the star crimp bit off with scissors.
    I have a 2 in chamber hollis I regularly shoot that I do this for and for novelty stuff for my other shotties solids etc roll crimps are best plus you can I'd loads by lettering the over card wads.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    ......................... The fiddly bit is trimming the star crimp bit off with scissors..............
    Thanks for the "work around". I have seen commercial "case length trimmers" for plastic 12 gauge cases advertised on some off shore websites. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Tr...uctinfo/TRIM2/ which seems a bit overkill. Also noted comments., "..........I had better results using a box cutter and a piece of pvc pipe. ........."

Think I'll try to locate some "12 gauge" diameter plumbing pvc pipe first before deciding to buy a roll crimping tool.