Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Heres the picture of the 2 packets of 243 rounds

Heres the picture of the 2 packets of 243 rounds

Name:  277365607_5124398687607802_4675083487076924881_n.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  109.8 KB

Clearly see they quite different...whats going on? havnt taken the packet back yet
    Micky Duck likes this.

Every pack ever bought always looks like the round to the right, one new pack was just like it the other was the ones on the left.
    Will they still shoot the same and is this a problem? Cheers

Gone but not forgotten
    Are the projectiles obviously different, or does the seating depth just make them look different? it's a bit hard to tell from the photo

they will be fine,just shoot a couple to confirm zero and go shoot another deer....
    your a bush hobbit...minute of ciggy packet at 50 yards is plenty good enough LOL.
    veitnamcam, deer243 and Magnus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Are the projectiles obviously different, or does the seating depth just make them look different? it's a bit hard to tell from the photo
    You can see the line on both rounds (maybe not in photo) where they seated which suggests to me they different projectiles?
    If it was just the seating of the projectile how will they perform compared to each other say over 250m?
    Cant see they shooting the same

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    they will be fine,just shoot a couple to confirm zero and go shoot another deer....
    your a bush hobbit...minute of ciggy packet at 50 yards is plenty good enough LOL.
    Ok Mickey, if i use the ones on the left and miss that 14 point stag i will blame you!!!!
    Do you still believe they be fine.....cause i be very grumpy hahahaha and i dont miss with the 243

fair enough mate...check 2x3 shot groups at range...1 lot at hundy the other at 250.....if of course you can see that far...and find 250 yards of ground to try it LOL..... faark I would hate to think last time I shot at paper past hundy....would be close to 25 years I guess,have shot milk bottles at 200plus.
    I think back to early 80s and buying factory ammunition for the mighty .270w I just bought what ever 130grn load was on shelf and went and shot stuff...didnt fire enough into paper to notice a difference and the animals surely didnt
    now funny thing...if you compared a Norma 150grn load and a PMC 130 grn load you would swear the PMC was heavier...the projectile was fatter and looked longer as more was sticking out front of case....it couldve been the Norma was denser material...either way they still shot close enough to not matter a hoot at sub 100 yards.
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    fair enough mate...check 2x3 shot groups at range...1 lot at hundy the other at 250.....if of course you can see that far...and find 250 yards of ground to try it LOL..... faark I would hate to think last time I shot at paper past hundy....would be close to 25 years I guess,have shot milk bottles at 200plus.
    I think back to early 80s and buying factory ammunition for the mighty .270w I just bought what ever 130grn load was on shelf and went and shot stuff...didnt fire enough into paper to notice a difference and the animals surely didnt
    now funny thing...if you compared a Norma 150grn load and a PMC 130 grn load you would swear the PMC was heavier...the projectile was fatter and looked longer as more was sticking out front of case....it couldve been the Norma was denser material...either way they still shot close enough to not matter a hoot at sub 100 yards.
    Come to think of it i cant remember last time i even shot out to 200m plus i doubt i see anything at 250mwith my bad eyes lol
    Micky Duck likes this.

That is a dramatic difference in OAL. And based on that image the one on the right is not even close to the same brass. Seems much more like a magnum cartridge.

Or rather the opposite, left is something else 6mm.

What do the stamps say? It may just be the picture but if you say the right one is the closest to what you normally use. ..I would get out some calipers.
    Last edited by Preacher; 29-03-2022 at 10:33 PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Is the whole pack like that or just one round? almost looks like someone was looking at thr rounds and put the wrong one in the box
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Is the whole pack like that or just one round? almost looks like someone was looking at thr rounds and put the wrong one in the box
    Whole pack and all stamped 243 on case

Right, took the packet back to the shop to get a opinion. They tried to tell me the smaller, on the right round is a 80gr and the other is clearly 100gr.
    NO, i had to tell them 4 times that i have been buying 100gr Fed Powershok for over at least 10 years and they always look like the smaller
    one and have some old rounds and they the same and its 100gr.

Because they dont have FED in stock, he tried comparing different brand 100gr but they all looked same lenght as the problem one conmfiring his opinion it must be 80gr
    hence why had to keep saying , look, its not a 80 gr round.
    In the end the verdict was he was sure the problem one will be as stated, 100gr and maybe used a different projrectile or seated different but will be fine, maybe do a sighter if not sure.

I then took them to HnF for a second opinion. They were very surprised about the difference, not once he thought the other was 80gr.
    Weighted both rounds, both weighted the same , no FED in Stock either and comparing other 243 100gr rounds it appears the problem pack is prob 100gr as stated.

Think one was 2.77 compared to 2.8(think that what he said when measured thought it was alot different anyway).
    The verdict, seated way out for some reason or maybe have used a different projectile but are 100 gr rounds.
    Suggested point of impact maybe not the same and certainly fire a sighter to see.

So, looks likely i do have 2 packets of 100gr Fed Powershok with one pack seated way out than have in the past.
    Could it be possible the 80s and 100 gr look very much the same in the past (esp if loose rounds together) and Federal have now decided to seat the 100gr out
    to come into line with other brand 100gr lengths so no confusien on what round you using (comparing 80gr to 100gr)

Now if thats the case, will point of impact be different? I will check before i get the the Problem pack
    Micky Duck likes this.

Pop up to mine and check them out mate
    deer243 and Micky Duck like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Without sounding boring there is one thing certain about the Matakohe projectile they are ALL 100 percent the same. Quality ever goes out of fashion.

Typical rubbish you get with 243s
    Moa Hunter likes this.