Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Home made resizing lube recipe? Got given 1 kg of beeswax.... ideas?

I used synthetic motor oil. "Bought" a liter from work of synthetic 5w30 and poured a bit into the cap, and dipped the first shell, and then every 10-15th one (whenever the sizing die felt a bit stiff I dipped another case). If you dip every case you will end up putting dents in the shoulder. The oil would have cost me about $10 retail, and will probably last you a great number of years.

That's all well and good but how do you clean the oil off the cases. No good if you SSSM or USC. So you are tumbling? and then get rid of all the media because you will refoul your next batch of cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Lanolin is bloody expensive at the chemist ,you have to buy nipple treatment stuff, you need to get onto a industrial or commercial source. I use beeswax, chef aid lanolin and a cooking oil melted together in a formula based on volume in a pan over boiling water.
    Just did a quick search on Trademe and found this listing number 586999534 was for a 850g pack of anhydrous lanolin at a "No Reserve" start price of $46.00. With vaseline and a bit of Iso-propyl alcohol if you want a thick oily liquid it will make a large quantity of inexpensive superb heavy duty case lube.
    "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting"

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    That's all well and good but how do you clean the oil off the cases. No good if you SSSM or USC. So you are tumbling? and then get rid of all the media because you will refoul your next batch of cases?
    I never had any issues. Sized and then ultrasonically cleaned them. Once dry (usually the next day) they were tumbled. I usually did each step over a week. 1 night sizing, USC then the next night tumbling, then after that fill and seat bullet. I didnt notice any issues with the media, although it was pretty dirty, probably tumbled a couple of thousand cases in it, but they always came out shiny.