Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By 300wsm for life

Thread: Hornady 168g hollow point match

Hornady 168g hollow point match

In 30 cal, anyone had experience with these on game? Looks like I can pick a couple of hundred up so wondered what they would go like from close to 400mtrs.

Can be a little unreliable from my experience which is honestly limited to observing a couple of animals dropped at pretty much standard ranges, with that bullet in the factory Hornady match loads. One hit a shoulder and basically exploded, bang-bits-flop and kick with whats left. The other went quite a way with a lung shot - pill did kill it but went through without a decent wound and slow leak out. OK in open country, not ideal in bush...

You might have better luck - but from what I saw I'd be thinking use the match pills on steel and something designed to expand on game? I'm pretty much lumping it into the same class as the Federal Gold Medal Match with the 168gr SMK bullet.
    Micky Duck likes this.

you now using the humble .308???? so you COULD maybe open the tip up somewhat to reduce chance of a pencilling effect but be prepared for fast opening... the slower velocity might be your friend,maybe even drop it down to lighter powder charge still and see how they preform in bottles of water/bullet trap and decide from there.
    Ive got 30 something NBTs around that weight,sitting here waiting for a worthy home.... feel free to PM me if you need them,I wont charge you the price of a kidney or first born child.
    300wsm for life likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks mate, flicked you a PM. Was considering them as supply was good and price not ridiculous.
    Micky Duck likes this.