Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hornady 223 training ammo 55 gr

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yeah is doing like 2800 from 14.5, should be at ~3000 really
    With a BC of a brick it would lose that fast too. I guess for shooting ammo it is good though. Our club gets the FMJ stuff for $54/100. We ream through probably 500 rounds per service shoot, not including play time afterwards.

For training (funny that) and rabbits etc it's fine

I'll either handload 77gr SMK or just buy some 75gr factory stuff for bigger things. Hate handloading.

Had my first ever jam (failure to feed/stove-pipe) in my AR15 today running this stuff today. May be just a one off, not sure as I only fired 14 rounds?

I'm going to throw a bit of lead around tomorrow so should have a better idea of killing ability and reliability (55gr soft point Hornady training ammo). Well that’s the plan anyway, spose I shouldn't count my chickens (well actually goats) before they hatch with dodgy weather predicted eh?

kj

I cranked out a couple hundred rounds today through the AR, I didn't have a single jam, failure to feed or misfire, the rifle/ammo performed flawlessly (as this particular AR always does). Hard to tell, but it didn't appare to be a spectacular killer...but it was most likely my shooting as I just couldn't find seem to get my ''shooting kung-foo'' flowing today. Some pretty average shooting (by me) shouldn’t be held against this ammo.

Anyway, long story short - I think it’s very good value for money and I'll be using it from now on as it does the job good enough.

kj

Banned
    seen a shooter pump a goat in the neck at 245yrd no sweat 223 55gr training amo seems to be were its at for most guys i know with 223's

I found the last box in Northland today, brass cased too in H&F Dargaville! Next shipment only arriving in Feb!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Ejected
    It's good ammo, good enough for rabbits out to 220-240 at a pinch.

Its accurate thru my rifle, not a spectacular killer, but it is consistant. and it is all that I use thru my AR

Last 6 deer I've shot with it have dropped been with a single shot to the chest using this ammo. Its good stuff.

There is 2 boxes at my local for $60 each. If someone wants it I will grab it for them tomorrow if it's still there. I'm heading to Auckland tomorrow night.

That's a massive ripoff if it's the steel cased stuff.

I shot a few 5rd groups zeroing the AR tonight, less than 1.5moa consistently in rapidly fading light with 4x ACOG, not shooting slowly.

Any one tried the fiocchi 223 55gr fmj, im gettting good results through the NEA 15, paid $36 per 50 round boxs. They also make a 69gr load and 77gr load. Target products in Timaru are the main importer dont think there is the 77gr load here but they do have 55 and 69 loads

My new Savage doesn't seem to like the training ammo (2" groups) so will have to try something different - those heavier Fiocchi loads sound interesting.

With the training ammo I managed to get an average speed of 2927 out of about an 20" barrel. The speed spread was about 100fts over 5 shots. Was still shooting 3 shots under 1/2".

Handloaded Hornady 55gn SPs were a good goat killer for me in my old M-Bolt .223. Including a few 200m shots that were:

Phpfttt.... (suppressed)
    Thwack
    Mheeehhhhhh
    Roll down hill dead.

Only stopped using them as I now shoot 65gn SGK in my Sako.
    Welcome to Sako club.