Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By feratox
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Cigar

Thread: Hornady hand primer issue

Hornady hand primer issue

Seems the large primer stem isn't seating primers properly, leaves primer protruding and when you stand case up it wobbles around, won'tsit flat. I don't have the same issue with the small primer stem, seats the 223 primer without any issues.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Could someone measure the large primer stem so I can compare.

I get 1.372 long and 1.033 from the top to the top of the shoulder on the conical bit.

Are you using hornady shell holders or another brand?
    300wsm for life likes this.

I think the 308 is Hornaday. Why would that effect it? Aren't those types of shell holder made to the same specs. My 223 shell holder is Lee and no issues seating primer.

Gone but not forgotten
    My Lyman hand primer doesn’t work with Lee or Hornady shellholders, they are too thick so have the same issue you do.

@Cigar what do you use instead?

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Seems the large primer stem isn't seating primers properly, leaves primer protruding and when you stand case up it wobbles around, won'tsit flat. I don't have the same issue with the small primer stem, seats the 223 primer without any issues.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Could someone measure the large primer stem so I can compare.
    Is it the same for all large rifle primers or just one cartridge? I had trouble seating primers in my SAUM in my Lee hand primer but the same shell holder seats them fine in the .303 and .30-40. I think that the primer pockets in my SAUM cases may be minimum or less depth.
    GPM.

My redding holders don't work. The reference surface is the top of the groove, seems to be different in the redding (cf. hornady) holders I have.

I'm using 308 remington brass and federal 210 primers. Don't have any thing else to compare with.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    @Cigar what do you use instead?
    I use Lyman shellholders, which I already had. I bought a set of Hornady ones and discovered the issue when I tried to use one of them, and the Lee one with my 243 dies was the same. They are a bit thicker so hold the case a little bit further away and the stem can’t reach far enough.

Thanks for that, looks like I will purchase a Lyman shell holder.

I have a funky old bench mounted primer seater...the paint finish is the same as the redding scales shown on forum last week so it must be that brand.light green crinkle finish... it uses the same shell holders as the press and has a rod that slips up the guts,I place primer on rod,lower it,place case in holder,press handle down,remove case and repeat...its not as fast as lee autoprime but absolutely bomb proof and oh so simple to use....didnt have a rod to begin with so made one from old tent peg and smoothed off business end with oil stone.the best part is it will prime any case size as long as have a shell holder.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Gone but not forgotten
    See post #12 in this thread, there are measurements and pictures of the different shellholders in my hand primer.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....al-jump-55892/
    300wsm for life likes this.

I just measured the pin and it's shorter than @feratox mentioned. Top of shoulder to top of pin is 0.989in and overall length 1.319.
    Can you buy replacement parts for the hornady tool?