Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: Hornady Headspace gauges and bullet comparators

Hornady Headspace gauges and bullet comparators

Just wondering who has these tools and what their thoughts are on them?

Also does the comparator body work for both sets, i.e can you buy the headspace gauge kit and use the comparator body for the bullet comparator as well?

ebf
    yup use them, very good.

does depend on the quality of your vernier caliper, so buy the best you can.

the headspace inserts and bullet comparator inserts both fit into the same body.

try to get the flat anvil thingy for the other jaw of the vernier, makes things a bit easier to use.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Fulla
    Wouldn't leave home without it.

Agree with ebf and bully.
    Lets you set up f/l dies for headspace correctly and properly measure OAL to the bullet ogive.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Just what I wanted to hear. I have been measuring to the bullet tip but I haven't been happy with that method and not having anyway to check how much I am bumping the shoulder back has been bugging me as well. I will be developing loads for my .300 win mag soon and I dont want to overwork the brass.

Nothing wrong with the hornady stuff but...... same thing made by sinclairs is better quality inserts are stainless not alloy and will not wear. Using a Davidson seating depth base piece makes taking the measurements easier and more consistent also

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the hornady stuff but...... same thing made by sinclairs is better quality inserts are stainless not alloy and will not wear. Using a Davidson seating depth base piece makes taking the measurements easier and more consistent also
    Sinclairs product is better but having said that I have had the Stoney Point version for years well b4 Hornady bought them out. They have worked well and I haven't worn them out despite being alloy. I have added some of Sinclair's head space inserts though as they make Ackley angled ones matching the Ackley shoulders more accurately whereas the Stoney Point ones only measure at the crossover datum point. Have some of Sinclairs ogive bushes as well and they give a slightly different reading than the Stoney Point ones. Also bought a Sinclair "nut" but never use it and don't particularly like it.
    ZG47 likes this.