Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By wsm junkie
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Pop Shot
  • 1 Post By superdiver

Thread: Hornady a max equivalent

Hornady a max equivalent

I have always used 168gr amax in my 30-06 along with my mate and we find them very good at dropping anamils at 200-400m tops hunting. The amax is discontinued now. I have tried the 168 nosler lrab but they don't seem to be as effective. I think I will try the hornady eld-m 168gr has anyone used these for hunting?

Hornady ELD-M is the new amax....i use them in 7mm and 30cal as direct replacement to the old amaxes
    tikka and dannyb like this.

Banned
    What dont you like about the LRAB's ?. I use the standard AB's in a 2506 AI and a 270 and really like them. I find that they do kill differently to a softer bullet, with a delay / pause before an animal drops or a short drunken run in eight out of ten animals, some times animals look like they dont know they are hit for a couple of moments then drop. What I like is that they always do drop, I never loose one even with a poor hit as sometimes happens. Full penetration and blood on the ground and minimal meat loss.
    Mooseman likes this.

Welcome to the forum ��

Try Google search:
    site:nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz Eld-M for hunting

Lots and lots to read - many discussions about this subject!

To reply to the LRAB yes exactly that a delayed death. act like they haven't even been hit. Not to mention that they lied about there bc when the first come out which was a scummy move. Sorry new I will have a read up on the old articles on the site. Just miss the amax bullet 9 out of 10 times what you shot would drop on the spot. Thanks for the advice. I have some eld-Ms order so looking forward to testing them

Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    To reply to the LRAB yes exactly that a delayed death. act like they haven't even been hit. Not to mention that they lied about there bc when the first come out which was a scummy move. Sorry new I will have a read up on the old articles on the site. Just miss the amax bullet 9 out of 10 times what you shot would drop on the spot. Thanks for the advice. I have some eld-Ms order so looking forward to testing them
    My experience with eldm's mirrors your experience with amax's drop on the spot bang flops from 100 out to 500 yards so far with no failures
    #DANNYCENT

Good to know when I finally run outer the Amax. Only eight or nine boxes to get through first.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    It's hard to find the perfect bullet son, impossible to find the perfect woman...etc A bullet that kills smaller meat animals like yearlings and spikers without blowing them to bits but can penetrate a big stag all pumped up with testosterone, muscles and neck toughened to prevent injury from other stags antlers. A bullet that kills well up close as well as far off. Because you are using a 30 cal I think a slightly harder bullet is going to be better than a similar weight softy in a 7mm for example, but then again the bullet is slower out of the 3006.
    The two important questions to answer for me are 1 have you ever lost an animal with an amax ? 2 is meat damage limited to the entry exit or is there a large area of bruising ?

Eldm or tmk not driven too fast pretty much covers your bases. 165gr speer btsp is another great option if your rifle likes it as has a great bc but a very usable bullet near and far.
    dannyb likes this.