Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: How "cool" is cool for gunpowder storage.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    It states it is illegal but doesnt cite the law....police are known lairs so I would like to see the actual piece of legislation.
    This I have already acknowledged and also said I'm not up for a dogfight on how "Legal" is the "Code."

So, if you want it, I leave you to get it and wish you well and good luck under the current tyranny,

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    No one has come back to the question of which legislation this is?
    It's in the HSNO regulations.
    I did track down the actual legislation a while back, it was quite hard to find as there are lots of different bits of legislation. Under 15kg you are okay with a FAL and storing separate to a dwelling, over 15kg a pile of extra storage and licensing requirements kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    This I have already acknowledged and also said I'm not up for a dogfight on how "Legal" is the "Code."

So, if you want it, I leave you to get it and wish you well and good luck under the current tyranny,
    Not looking for a fight, just thought some one may link or copy paste it here.
    Lots of clever people here who seem to be able to do that stuff... I'm not one of them.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Tommy likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Not looking for a fight, just thought some one may link or copy paste it here.
    Lots of clever people here who seem to be able to do that stuff... I'm not one of them.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Here is what you are looking for I believe. The only place I can see that states that smokeless powder (Class 1.1D) can not be stored in a dwelling is in section 23-3 but that relates to a Class 1 substance held under lock and key.
    When you look further down to Table 7 it states that less then 15 kgs of Class 1.1D does not need to be under lock and key.
    Hopefully someone else can point us in the direction of where it says we aren't allowed to store less than 15kgs of smokeless powder in our dwellings.

One other thing I found interesting is that in clause 13A it says no one is allowed to display Class 1 substances for sale other than Fireworks. Guncity may need to take note!

Hazardous Substances (Classes 1 to 5 Controls) Amendment Regulations 2003 (SR 2003/177) (as at 01 December 2017) – New Zealand Legislation
    veitnamcam likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Table 7 says under 15kg does need to be under lock and key

Bother........................I seem to have opened one of these.

Name:  can of worms.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  77.3 KB

I am not worried about a few kg’s of gun powder stored in my home or garage.
    My wife’s car is parked in the internal access garage with 80 litres of petrol sitting in the tank not to mention the 5 tires and a truck load of plastic and fibreglass parts / panels.
    In a fire, it’s going to go up like a Roman candle compared to a few kg’s of gun powder stored in a cupboard.

My understanding is you are allowed less than 15kg it powder stored in your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Energy Potential taken from Google.

Gasoline - 47.2 Mj/Kg
    Black powder - 3 Mj/KG
    Smokeless powder - 4.6 Mj/Kg

Petrol has 10 times the energy of gun powder, weight for weight.

veitnamcam and mikee like this.

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Energy Potential taken from Google.

Gasoline - 47.2 Mj/Kg
    Black powder - 3 Mj/KG
    Smokeless powder - 4.6 Mj/Kg

Petrol has 10 times the energy of gun powder, weight for weight.

This is completely irrelevant - chocolate chip cookies have 8 times more energy than TNT and 15 times more than BP.

Try replacing the petrol in your engine with black powder and igniting it. It wont go well I promise.

What is important, which these internet tables don't tell us, is how quickly a substance can release its energy, ie, convert its energy to heat.
    zimmer likes this.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Following @Cigar 's suggestion, I have installed my 3 powders, still in their original containers as sold to me, in a non working refrigerated chilly bin under the bench in my free standing garage. I also included a max / min thermometer and have noted over the last few totally sunny, warm, days the min is 17c and the max 23c. Seems to be a temperature solution but awaiting @Maca49 's development of "volatile."
    sightpicture likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by terryf View Post
    This is completely irrelevant - chocolate chip cookies have 8 times more energy than TNT and 15 times more than BP.

Try replacing the petrol in your engine with black powder and igniting it. It wont go well I promise.

What is important, which these internet tables don't tell us, is how quickly a substance can release its energy, ie, convert its energy to heat.
    And you can also add in the odd flour explosion from around the world. Maybe our wives shouldn't have flour stored in the house.

I currently have around 34 cans of powder (greater than 15 kg) which is stored in of all places my hay shed. Yeah, she'll be a ripper.
    The cans are stored in two plastic drums, which have breathers.

An interesting aside is how porous the plastic powder cans that the manufacturers pack powder in are - one of my drums has only unopened cans in it. When I take the lid off the drum there is always a nice sweet smell of powder wafting out.

I store in my garage at most 2 cans (500 grams) of the current powder I may be reloading with.
    If my garage, and attached house should burn down, one of the hassles I don't want is arguing the toss with my insurance company when they go looking for reasons to squirm out.

To each his own I guess.

BTW In my early stage of married life my powder (very small supply in those days) was stored in a cupboard in the bedroom. I had a can of milsurp party go off when it popped its screw cap and gave off lovely brown fumes. Haven't stored powder in main house since.

Old guy, now passed, had his collection stolen from a walk in safe in his garage using his oxy/acetylene torch to cut the lock off. Police were not amused and told him to store his gas set elsewhere, his answer was to leave the gas set where it was, but on repairing the lock he made a lockable cabinet on the inside the door right where the lock was. He wanted them to have another attempt, not a man trap, just the safest place to store black powder, in his opinion!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Table 7 says under 15kg does need to be under lock and key
    Storing Black Powder in a safe is a good idea to give firemen the shits! But it would blow the fire out, with a bit of luck?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by terryf View Post

BP in yr lawnmower, depends on how strong the spark is?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    BP in yr lawnmower, depends on how strong the spark is?
    Don't forget to take a video for us
    Maca49 and dannyb like this.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil