Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: How many rounds is a Tikka action good for?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Easiest and most common way to stuff a tikka is too replace the factory barrel with a nz made CF wrapped barrel like so many seem to do......
    HnF in Taupo had a few of those types of guns when I was buying some glo bugs today.

isn't this like "how long is a piece of string"
    depends how you use your rifle.
    How well you look after her..
    If you load your own rounds ?
    ect ect… not meaning too be a dick or anything
    Dead is better likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Tempted to "borrow" a Tikka action attached to a DPT stock while I was picking up my gun today at Te Rapa.LOL.

'

I figured its just like a car part. Eventually it will wear out after a finite amount of shots regardless of TLC. I've heard gunsmiths are sometimes required to assess wear in the bolt carrying rails (not sure what these are actually called) so i guess i was just wondering if theres was a known round count on how long it takes to wear out a given action
    -

ask yourself this......that SMLE on trademe that sells for $3-400 on regular basis...has been around for close to and in some cases over a hundred years....it could well have seen use in WW2 or other conflict....its probably been used for multiple bombups here on goats or deer and yet its still going strong and will probably continue to do so for the forseeable future...now you plastic spastic T3 has some hundredish less years of wear n tear and SHOULD have benefit of much better technology in construction...much better materials and no wartime speedy corner cutting manufacturing.so should be able to last at least as long as you will.
    takbok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ask yourself this......that SMLE on trademe that sells for $3-400 on regular basis...has been around for close to and in some cases over a hundred years....it could well have seen use in WW2 or other conflict....its probably been used for multiple bombups here on goats or deer and yet its still going strong and will probably continue to do so for the forseeable future...now you plastic spastic T3 has some hundredish less years of wear n tear and SHOULD have benefit of much better technology in construction...much better materials and no wartime speedy corner cutting manufacturing.so should be able to last at least as long as you will.
    Exactly!

I’ve never considered any action life was finite.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Of course, I don't know the answer to this.

You'd think a little maintenance would be needed, specially on moving parts like the trigger sear and stuff.
    Does the plastic bolt shroud deteriorate with age ?
    I would expect a plastic magazine to wear out.

I believe my SMLE action stretched or the bolt lugs wore a bit after about 20 years (1000 rounds). Headspace was too big and cases started separating.
    It had been a target rifle so I expect the headspace was good originally.
    Din Collings replaced the bolt head and built up the face with a bit of weld and I never had any more separations.
    This was just maintenance in my eyes. The rifle went on for another 10 years working just as well as ever.
    Dead is better likes this.