Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum

Thread: Howa 243

Howa 243

Just starting to reload for the mrs 243, what combos have you found that work well in the howa 243??

Hi,
    Can't comment on a Howa specific but in general a 243 is a 243 and they are generally not a picky caliber to work with. I'm assuming its the typical 1:9 or 1:10 twist.

Noting that this question gets asked quite often I would suggest a forum search will bring up a lot of info

Now to help with suggestions, what's the hopped for targets, and ranges. Particularly important given the 243's range of capabilities from target work, to Varmints (Rabbits, wallaby ) goat, Fallow or up to large Reds, bush, river flats or tops?
    Need to know if we are looking at 55-75 gr red mist making fun, Goat, Fallow or good eating reds taking the likes of the Sierra 85gr game king or Hornady or Berger 87gr's or 95gr sst's, or are you looking at longer range hunting were its the likes of the 103-115 gr ELDX or M or Berger etc.

Yes I like my 243, just so versatile and easy to shoot so I'm prone to getting carried away.
    Z
    trooper90 likes this.

Generally 80 to 90gn pills will work well in a 243. Good starting point anyway

TLB
    Off the top of my head a Howa .243 is usually 1:10" so in general 100gr would be as high as you can go.
    For deer 95gr SST is hard to go past.

Caretaker
    95g Nosler Ballistic Tips for everything, one load, learn it well and it will serve you well
    Hunter_Nick likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time