Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tararua Phil
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Interesting experience

Interesting experience

Had a couple of Berdan primed 7.62x39 steel cased reloads that didn't ignite while goat shooting so deprimed hydraulically onto wet ground. After a few fine days I decided to see if they'd go off even though I'd been told they wouldn't. I reinserted them into the shells & using a different make of rifle (JW103 Norinco) they went off no worries, which indicates either; the Howa mini action that fired them first has a weak firing pin spring or the primer cup's a bit harder than the boxers. The boxer primed ones I use in the Howa go off without any hassles.
    I was surprised they went off after being wet then dry again.
    The main prompt for the experiment was that in the past while depriming using the "pick n pry method" some had actually ignited in the holder. (Yes I'd taken out the powder & projectile first).
    Has anyone had this before?
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

my .223 zastava wouldnt fire norinco ammo early on....I was shown to release bolt spring when storing (added bonus it wont go back into rifle ) and have never had issues with it again. had a couple of shotguns that were picky with primers either cup hardness or seating depth were causes. with the norinco rifle its simple matter to twist both halves of bolt in opposite directions.... my other rifles there is wee catch,getting them back is simply twist in other direction.

Military berdan ammunition had harder primers than boxer sporting stuff due to the fact that the sks and ak have free floating firing pins and very strong hammer springs.
    Cordite likes this.