Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Issues Seating Cast Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I bough the Lee Universal expanding die.
    Turns out if you flare too much the case mouths are very very tight to chamber...

Hardly need any flaring at all, I just set it so the flare was the diameter of the brass diameter after seating and it worked well.
    Had a few marks from the seating stem on the projectiles but nothing major, I doubt enough to have an effect on the projectiles external ballistics.
    Excellent result.

If you flare to much they also are tight going into the seating die.
    I usually crimp as well using Lee's crimp die and this makes nice fitting ammo.

good to hear you got it sorted.
    why seated so deeply????
    also 2nd case looks to have very crooked neck???whats with that??
    looks like you using the .310 sizing stem.... I was using the .308 one without issues with same projectiles so interesting you had issues.must be just the shape of inside of die...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    good to hear you got it sorted.
    why seated so deeply????
    also 2nd case looks to have very crooked neck???whats with that??
    looks like you using the .310 sizing stem.... I was using the .308 one without issues with same projectiles so interesting you had issues.must be just the shape of inside of die...
    I was trying to set up the seating dies and having issues finding a starting point due to the lack of flare.
    Haven't seated them that deep now its all sorted.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I bough the Lee Universal expanding die.
    Turns out if you flare too much the case mouths are very very tight to chamber...

Hardly need any flaring at all, I just set it so the flare was the diameter of the brass diameter after seating and it worked well.
    Had a few marks from the seating stem on the projectiles but nothing major, I doubt enough to have an effect on the projectiles external ballistics.
    Nope, you flare, seat the bullet then use a crimp die to at least straighten the flare back to level, or, if a crimp is needed, to produce that crimp. You never try and chamber a cartridge with the flare still present. Or yes, you will get chambering issues
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

You can sometimes get away with just chamfering the case with the chamfering tool. I ended up with all of my 300 cases done this way from new, however they are all made from 223 brass.

I have a lee tool also but as you noted it can be too much if your not careful!
    Micky Duck likes this.