Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Kimber Montana Ascent 280AI Load Development

If the first load doesn't shoot that RL26 must be bad.
    I can dispose of it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    What rifle? And I'd be surprised but could be too high impact velocity.
    Yeah a mountain ascent 280ai also. Yeah that’s what I thought re impact velocity. I Have subsequently worked up a 120 Barnes load that I have been using for 300 yards or less which works well.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

I wasn’t able to get the groups I was looking for with my mountain ascent and the 162s at mag length but it shoots them well and a 10 thou jump.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Benj View Post
    Yeah a mountain ascent 280ai also. Yeah that’s what I thought re impact velocity. I Have subsequently worked up a 120 Barnes load that I have been using for 300 yards or less which works well.
    They should stabalise the 180 eld ms and get in the mid to high 2800s for speed. Would have more drop but a bigger projectile that holds energy longer. And would drop off a little of that upper end speed.

I wasn’t able to get the groups I was looking for with my mountain ascent and the 162s at mag length but it shoots them well and a 10 thou jump.
    Really? I jump 162s a long way in my 7mm08 and it shoots mint.

Really? I jump 162s a long way in my 7mm08 and it shoots mint.
    Yeah they have shot well for me in the past with a jump but not in this rifle unfortunately. Not a bad idea with the 180 eldm, I also have some a tips I’m going to try

Those A-tips looks good. Keen to hear how you find them.

Yeah they have shot well for me in the past with a jump but not in this rifle unfortunately. Not a bad idea with the 180 eldm, I also have some a tips I’m going to try
    Also interested although the bc on the 166s seemed low. Also not sure how they will go on game there's some reports the 230grain ones are very soft.

Also interested although the bc on the 166s seemed low. Also not sure how they will go on game there's some reports the 230grain ones are very soft.
    I have a friend who has shot quite a few animals with the 176 in a 300 Wsm and he has been impressed so far. Very accurate too. I’ll write a report if I shoot anything with the 166.
    Stocky likes this.

I have a friend who has shot quite a few animals with the 176 in a 300 Wsm and he has been impressed so far. Very accurate too. I’ll write a report if I shoot anything with the 166.
    Sounds good. I watched dthe video of the 135s on YouTube but didn't think they killed anywhere near as good as it was hyped up by gunwerks. But I wasn't their so don't know.

162gn ELDMs worked up with RE26 and Fed match primers, Norma brass. Mag length.

58, 59 and 60gn loads to test pressure. No issues although the 60gn load blew out the group and the primer strike was off center. No pressure signs.

61gn group first two shots together and third off to the left. No pressure. Excellent velocity and SD so some promise. Also had the Forbes 280AI to sight in but forgot the bolt so this group was shot without much time between shots. Shot all 3 from the mag as a check and do like controlled feed.

Beforehand I also found the internal mag was binding to the action from bottoming out against the stock. So fixed that. Front action screw isn't contacting (good), but Talley front base screw is known to contact barrel threads so will remove scope to check.

I think I'll shoot the 61gn load again with same just fit in the mag COAL.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tikka7mm08; 19-03-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    Moa Hunter and Stocky like this.

Is the primer strike off center, or is the primer off center ? looks a bit funny
    Last edited by Seventy Six; 19-03-2021 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Kimbers are good guns, Mine is a plain Montana with a shortened barrel but not fussy in fact is quite accurate with almost any load I have tried
    Its an all round better gun than the M700 custom thing it replaced
    Good luck
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Yeah it is odd. Not sure. Loaded 6 more up for a less rushed test. If I can get that 3rd shot in with the first 2 will be very happy.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Yeah it is odd. Not sure. Loaded 6 more up for a less rushed test. If I can get that 3rd shot in with the first 2 will be very happy.
    You shoot your deer three times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mathias and Eastern Wander like this.