Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Lee 358-158-RF and Other Bullets

I'm grateful for the help and it will be good to get some of those Keith bullets. They seem to be highly regarded, especially in the USA. I heard of Elmer Keith and his long range pistol shooting when I was quite young. I associate him with good times spent with my elders.... and the piles of old 'American Rifleman' and 'Outdoor Life' magazines I used to thumb through as a kid.

What powder do you like to use for those 45-70s Micky? And what velocity seems best for them?

home rolled black or 2206 as for velocity...dont know and to borrow quote from gone with the wind"and frankly my dear I dont give a damn"

sorry coote...its 2208 try this link its got some great loads.

Rifle (Single Action) - ADI World Class Powders and Ammunition

sorry coote...its 2208 try this link its got some great loads.

Rifle (Single Action) - ADI World Class Powders and Ammunition

you will need to look in the pistol section for your 357mag but plenty of loads there to give idea where to go...not 100% sure what difference will be but from memory the factory rifle loads were way hotter than pistol loads....well the pistol loads were weak in rifle by comparison anyway.

Thanks Micky. When you say 'home rolled'.... have you made black powder that works successfully in a cartridge? You have my attention.

PM inbound.....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I hoped you would chime in @shooternz . when it comes to all thing cast,listen to this fella coote...he knows his shit and makes great projectiles as many many folks on here will attest to.....got home today to package of lovely big fat hollow based .45/70 projectiles.
    I am happy the bullets arrived ok the new courier is hitting 100% so far,
    I have had some inquiries for HP 45/70 bullets, I have done some searching on the internet the one I have always liked is the Gould 330grain HP from the 1880's
    friwi likes it too but it is only available from Lyman and is single cavity so a non runner real arse of thing to cast with; there are three others a 315 gr a 350 gr and a HP version of the ones you have
    in HB all GC not sure of delivery time as they are catalog items but may not be in stock.

pencil me in.......then I wont be doctoring your ones hehehehehe hope you have forgiven me for the zombiemax version???
    from the ones Ive recovered from dirt behind target,it certainly made them open up quickly.