Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By yosamitesam
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 7 Post By shooternz
  • 2 Post By Friwi

Thread: Licenced reloader?

Licenced reloader?

Reloading for yourself is fine but to sell or for others I'm told you need to be licensed. This doesn't fall under the gun smith category and chatting with a firearms officer he had no idea what licence this would be. Even the best reloading books caveat with a warning. Has anyone gone so far as to get licensed to reload? What is required?
    dannyb likes this.

Under the new proposed regulations, you will need to notify the Police if selling ammo. This was not specified if reloaded or just selling off that left over half box you have. So assuming all ammo sales.

However, I understand that until those changes come in, you can sell ammo privately. I suspect that this include reloaded ammo, but not sure given the number of changes over the past couple of years.

Hopefully everyone submitted there thoughts on the proposed regulations while they could.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    yosamitesam likes this.

Thanks for that. I'll discuss with local firearms officer and see if that sparks any new dialogue.

You'll have more luck talking with the Worksafe people than the Arms Officer as it's nothing to do with the Police.
    However, be aware that you'll be opening a can of worms and probably end up wishing you just carried on without
    asking............

The reality of it all is you are likely required to be an Approved Handler and have a Controlled Substance License. Storage that meets the requirements of the HSNO Act. Having liability insurance too would maybe make sense. None of this is a Police requirement either, but there are other departments that administer the regulations.

The Gunsmiths guild or what ever they call themselves does have some sort of qualifying criteria for Reloading,
    I looked into it a few years ago but everyone I contacted were pretty vague about it, the biggest hassle is the paperwork
    with Police permit required for mail orders and finding a delivery service that will take ammo,
    Ok if you do pickup only,
    I decided to just sell cast bullets, I don't have time to reload for people any more,
    Just stay under the radar, Those that are meant to know and regulate it are useless and don't know anything.

I might be wrong, but I think there is a distinction between selling a couple of boxes of ammo that you want to get rid off and selling ammo as a business/organisation.
    shooternz and 6x45 like this.