Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Litz - Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets 3rd Ed

most good calculators will run a truing option. If it doesn't get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by blair993 View Post
    most good calculators will run a truing option. If it doesn't get another one.
    Applied ballistics is by far the best of the lot.
    It has the cdm's that work really well.
    To be fair the only one I havnt seriously mucked around with is the hornady 4dof.
    I have heard that works well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Unless you have used them all, how can you tell whats best? And what makes it the best? theres alot that goes into them. trasol is probably the most powerful calculator but not easy to use or updated often.

ebf
    The only way to get a true BC for your rifle is to shoot to distance from your rifle and true your data to suit. AB have already started to notice big shifts in BC in rifles as they wear let alone between different twist rates and barrel types.
    @blair993, when you say "barrel type" what would cause changes ? Length obviously, but that is captured in the MV parameter.

I was under the impression that most of the ballistic calculator engines take twist rate into effect. You can enter the rifle's specific twists rate in the firearm profile.

Not sure how much of an effect that has in real life, will do some messing around with 308 in 1:12 and 1:10 and see if the solutions are different...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Used to calculate spin drift.
    ebf likes this.

rifleing type and rate makes a difference to your bc. A rough finish will cause bc to drop as will cases not deburred causing scraps on the jacket.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Unless you have used them all, how can you tell whats best? And what makes it the best? theres alot that goes into them. trasol is probably the most powerful calculator but not easy to use or updated often.
    Blair, the best in that's its intuative, common, gets updated reguarly with cdm's and independently verified bc.
    It was created by bryan litz, a rocket scientist and chief balistitian for berger bullets.
    You are correct about trasol as not the easiest to use.
    Put it this way I have used and tried most of them.
    Right from the 1st programs on PC's to todays modern phone and kestrels.
    I still have a few on my phone but rely on my kestrel 5700 elite pretty much exclusively for a reason.
    I occasionally use my phone apps for running numbers for people having trouble.
    As far as I'm concerned the kestrel with its DOF and and wind direction capture do make it very quick to get a solution.
    If you want you can enable all the fruit for ELR it's all there.
    Also with the latest firm ware upgrade you get tod hodnett's accuracy first module.
    I wont go into it unless asked but it's a game changer if you can get your head around holdover shooting.
    My 2cents

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

ebf
    rifleing type and rate makes a difference to your bc. A rough finish will cause bc to drop as will cases not deburred causing scraps on the jacket.
    Interesting. I had a play with my ballistic app, and as far as I can see, spin drift for various twist rates differ so little that you can't make 1/4 moa or 0.1 mil adjustments for it unless you are shooting beyond 1000 yds.

I'd imagine that rifling type would be of the same or even smaller order of magnitude.

Beyond a 1000 yds it really does get into the black art side of things
    andyanimal31, zimmer and Lucky like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

@ebf the barrel twist and rifling quality its an internal change not an external change.
    like worst case you shoot a 75g from a 1-12 twist 223 with near worn out barrel the bc will be terrible because ofthe poor stablity .vs new barrel 1-7 twist 223 shooting same 75g will probably be better than the average bc.

changing the twist rate on a app is only changing it calculation of spin drift and AJ not the stabilty of the projectile causeing an increased bc over tha advertised bc.
    Moa Hunter likes this.