Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Beavis
  • 1 Post By Synthetic
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY

Thread: Marlin X7 misfires with .223 PMC 55 gr soft points

Marlin X7 misfires with .223 PMC 55 gr soft points

Hi team

I am about to list my Marlin X7 on the forum's Buy and Sell page, but wanted to check on something as I am not overly familiar with .223 ammo or Marlin rifles. I purchased the gun recently for my son to shoot goats and bought some PMC soft points (55 gr) to check the scope (a Hawke 3-9 x 40). The gun is in great condition - it looks as though it has had hardly any use. After shooting one packet of ammo, I had several rounds that would not fire. On inspection of the primers, it is clear that the firing pin was striking reasonably hard (see picture below), but no 'bang!'. Once at home I disassembled the bolt and it looked clean - no sign of debris or gunk. I gave it a degrease regardless, a light lube and returned to the range... and I still had misfires. For some that misfired I could get them to shoot by firing it a second time. I plan to try another type of ammo through the gun this weekend (weather dependent), but any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Grant

Name:  ammo.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  278.0 KB

Name:  20220812_143420.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  224.2 KB

It's the ammo I have 30 rounds that look like that

As Padox said. With a primer indent that clear, it’s almost certainly not a problem with the rifle.
    Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Hav also had them split casings even had 1 split the rim right round to the primer pocket

Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback. I'll list the gun and acknowledge the potential issue.

Cheers
    Grant

pan metal corporation.....

it was a common fault with the early stuff from 25-30 years ago...... that stuff could well have been sitting that long of longer....
    99% sure another brand will not give you issues.
    HoppyV8 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    pan metal corporation.....

it was a common fault with the early stuff from 25-30 years ago...... that stuff could well have been sitting that long of longer....
    99% sure another brand will not give you issues.
    Pan Metal Corporation equals Poor Mans Cartridge. Have used heaps of their brass and found it ok.

LOL....The yellow box FMJ stuff was awesome in killing power...but the odd misfire wasnt unusual .
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Think that yellow box stuff was Chinese and designed to tumble on impact, nasty. Was told there was an additive used to corrode the cases, cases shouldn't be reused and so not good for your rifle. Stuff I tried was old and misfired heaps. Also accuracy was shocking.

The Primers in PMC ammo are hard, I have had it fail to fire reliably in more than on rifle.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I've had the exact same issue with the exact same rifle and caliber, shooting 55gr Hornady Frontier ammo.
    Took it to a reputable gunshop, they checked everything and suggested it's the ammo's fault.
    HoppyV8 likes this.

I've fired a box of the ammo in my new mauser M18, had 4 misfires in the first box, that's after the first 2 misfires where I went home and stripped and cleaned the bolt.
    Taking other 2 boxes back and trying another brand
    Using Tapatalk

I have just put 5 rounds of PMC Bronze 55 grain through this rifle, sighting it in tomorrow should be easy going by tonights results.
    Ammo is from the same batch I have been running through my Howa with no misfires. Around 60 rounds consumed by the Howa.

No misfires. Bit there is some Fiocchi hiding in the background if we have issues
    Top two holes were quick fire at 25 yard to make sure we were on paper.
    Bottom is two touching at 50 yards. Aiming at the lower of the top two holes.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ROKTOY; 26-08-2022 at 09:05 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.