Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Mechanical scale wont zero

Mechanical scale wont zero

SO I bought a scale as a replacment for my crappy lee set (dillon precision but ohaus built).

It wont zero, the scale just always rests on the bottom of the support. Everything is straight and I have tried on a level surface.

Has anyone had this issue? there are ball bearings under the powder pan that I assume are used to calibrate the scale from factory, am I going to screw things up by adding some extra ballast(thinking shotgun shot) until it will zero?

Cheers
    Nick

Can you load a picture of it in situ?

My rcbs scale has a foot on the left hand side that winds in and out to zero the scale. Yours might have something simimar. Or you could pack one side up with paper or something to make it balance.

Ohaus make the rcbs scales that i have also. And as flincher says you can wind the leg up or down to zero.
    Is it new or second hand?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by Flincher View Post
    My rcbs scale has a foot on the left hand side that winds in and out to zero the scale. Yours might have something simimar. Or you could pack one side up with paper or something to make it balance.
    Yeah the levelling foot, it still wont zero even wound right out or in. The arm just rests.

Name:  20151128_161113.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  593.2 KB

To get it to level, I have to lean it on a downward 45 deg angle. Im wondering if the previous owner had it apart and lost some ballast

Are these two reversed?
    Name:  20151128_161113.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  581.1 KB
    steven and Nick-D like this.

looks to me like you have a shortage of weight in the powder pan base.

You're going to have to add some small lead balls to adjust it to zero.

I've some spares if you're stuck. The markers are in the correct position/order.
    Nick-D likes this.

Looks brand new who did u buy it off I'd send it back and ask for a new 1

To get it to level, I have to lean it on a downward 45 deg angle. Im wondering if the previous owner had it apart and lost some ballast[/QUOTE]

My son pulled mine apart and lost some on the ballast out of it and so had the same problem, just put some more ballast/weight in it and you will find it will be back to normal.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

if adjusting the feet didn't work check the knife edges foerr rust or a powder grain tap the beam when its like that does it move freely and swing back without catching .What weight is needed to get it to zero, and is it repeatable. Lastly is the pan correct for the balance

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    if adjusting the feet didn't work check the knife edges foerr rust or a powder grain tap the beam when its like that does it move freely and swing back without catching .What weight is needed to get it to zero, and is it repeatable. Lastly is the pan correct for the balance
    Good point about the pan. It doesn't look like it's sitting as well as it should. Maybe a different weight?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Doesnt matter where u have the weight cause it's all still hanging from the same point and is correct pan just on backwards might be hard to get exact weight right but give it a crack

I tried moving the pan, will just buy some cheap shotty loads and use some shot to even out the ballast. Its not brand new but it is in good knik. The pan looks to be the same as the OG ones I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I wouldn't use it. If it is dicking you around just to get it zeroed, what makes you think it won't dick you around right through it's weight range?
    Good point. But once zeroed he could confirm its accuracy with another scale just to be on the safe side