Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: MEPLAT TRIMMING

ahh bugger, that sucks.

They had me on pregabalin for my back, I didn't like it one bit!

Almost ran off the road on my way home from work one day, that was when I knew it was enough!

Yes that one was plan b for me after the gabapentin didn't work. Thanked them politely for the opportunity but declined... I'd rather a known constant of pain than a head that didn't work and weird physical issues that were less than predictable. Down side of that was a suppressed pain response and muscles that need to be retrained to function correctly - and that latter one is proving to be a bit of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Yes that one was plan b for me after the gabapentin didn't work. Thanked them politely for the opportunity but declined... I'd rather a known constant of pain than a head that didn't work and weird physical issues that were less than predictable. Down side of that was a suppressed pain response and muscles that need to be retrained to function correctly - and that latter one is proving to be a bit of a bitch.
    At least I knew I had an end in sight, discectomy fixed it 100%

have any of your GPs ever mentioned low dose nortryptiline for chronic pain management?Ihad a locum GPchart me tramadol for a buggers lower spine .Fuck me one kept me wide awake like a randy buck jacko all night so after consulting with my mate also ex nurse and a man whose had more medial episodes than me hot feeds,Id only take the bloody things if 100%neccesary .in fact was pleased to see the back of them.Imalso aware of the potentialfor dependency with likes of gabapentin/tramadol and am more than a little concernd how some GPsjust cahrt it with gay abandon.

Banned
    Tramadol gives me murderous nightmares
    No.3 likes this.

I agree with keeping TM and GB as low as possible and avoiding it as well.
    Day 6 post fusion now and pretty much down to paracetamol with a single 300mg gabapenten of an evening.
    Well I guess the meplat trimming aspect of this thread has gone out the window
    So back to pain management 🙃
    Re back pain, I dropped out of the GB big dose race and just went back to grinning and grinding my teeth, but after a few months of that being back at square one I found out about 100 mg doses of GB
    So I have one of those when the body gets too sore. They have worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by winchesterM69A View Post
    Tramadol gives me murderous nightmares
    Yes to that...

They have suggested the low dose norti for me, but the treating fella (the only one that hasn't been wrong yet I'll point out) has stated that it's likely to actually conceal what he needs to see to actually treat me. Main issue I have is doing the injury at the time of the waikato DHB hack followed by a Covid lockdown and then the ACC system playing ignorant idiots and needed to be taken to review meant that I didn't start the correct treatment until 15months after the injury (and then I had to find the correct person etc etc). Thats why my muscles all got outta whack, and until that's correct they can't get to fix the original injury which has healed wrong. Very frustrating and a multiple level system failure that just didnt need to happen - but, there are many people who are far far worse off than me so you work with what you have. Worst bit is it's my right side ribs, back at shoulder blade and up into the shoulder and neck. Shooting anything bigger than a mouse fart is outta the question at the moment unfortunately which is hugely frustrating.

Back on original topic, what are you wanting to achieve from the meplat trim? It's usually the least-contributing bit to variables, and if the jackets are consistent enough and the bullets are all off the same die set you should not be seeing that much variation???

Meplat trimming lowers the BC slightly so must be followed up by bullet tipping. Was all the rage 10-15 years ago. I gave up doing it a long time ago.
    Cannot say categorically whether it made a difference. The makers of bullet tipping dies tell us it does...

@zimmer I have a bunch of the 155 nosler custom projo's the tips are often ragged and angled, my thoughts while inactive was to trim them to an eveness.
    Luckily I dont shoot them past 600 yd (and i know some do) so will most likely never proove if its good or not and i can obviously just shoot them how they are but like i say just looking for a non demanding bed rest job.
    I have already invested time into the joy of OAL bullet sorting and thats been quite a revelation with just the CC's My stash of HBC's are the tipped variety so I wont be touching them with a trimmer, but I will get on to sorting them and possibly individual nameing. I'm thinking X is a cool name for a projectile, and of course i can always call the bad ones, three.
    Just need to get my laser 3 d printer sorted.

Re the lower BC from trimming, I find it weird that I can have a raggedy end, mass produced bullet that shoots lets say .45 BC and yet by trimming it to even that its going to go into the high .300 low .4's
    Last edited by johnd; 27-07-2023 at 02:47 PM.

sierra HPBT are an absolute shocker for uneven tips....
    I wonder if you could make up a simple block of....wood....plastic that has hole drilled through it and just the very tip poking out..then grind /file the poking out bit off.... sounds cruder than its needs to be.... just someway to hold projectile and protect all bar a certain bit.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    sierra HPBT are an absolute shocker for uneven tips....
    I wonder if you could make up a simple block of....wood....plastic that has hole drilled through it and just the very tip poking out..then grind /file the poking out bit off.... sounds cruder than its needs to be.... just someway to hold projectile and protect all bar a certain bit.
    Yes MD I would most likely have gone that route but i have 6 weeks of no touchy ground on my leg so not going to risk a topple in the workshop. One of those tasks i should have done before the lay up but......

For bullet tippng i was thinking about dragging out my old .270 RGB die and slowly lowerring the projectile cone down on the seater. Might be worth a chuckle
    Micky Duck likes this.

I shot some HBC's in my 7.5x55 SR (yeah I know, not exactly fullbore) and they were outstanding. Tried to buy a shit load and hello, not being produced. I think NRANZ had stocks but I'm no longer a member.

I think the loss of BC is small, I have heard -2% but could be wrong on that. Of course, the more you trim and widen the tip, the more you consume the BC.

I meplat trimmed and tipped Berger 6.5mm 130gr but didn't have the opportunity to try at 1000yds to evaluate. And even if I could have not sure I was proficient enough at 1000yds to judge if any difference. Stretching the legs of my 6.5x47!

Even with the quality Bergers, following the tipping die's instructions I would end up with 4 different lots out of 100 in a box. Was very time consuming.

My meplat trimmer was dedicated to 6.5. As well as trimming the tip it cleaned the hole at the same time. I did have a Sinclair one but it was utter shite so it left the premises.
    My die was a John Hoover version.

Yep HBC's are now gone bergers!

so if you place projectiles tip upmost in something like a wooden block with appropriate sized holes 7-7.75mm sort of thing and were to place something like a metal ruler with 2-3mm hole drilled through it..only the very tip of projectiles would poke through....simple matter to remove what sticks up and all would be the same....dremel sort of thing...or honing stone in power drill..the dogs nail file drill thing would all work and be reasonably precise.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so if you place projectiles tip upmost in something like a wooden block with appropriate sized holes 7-7.75mm sort of thing and were to place something like a metal ruler with 2-3mm hole drilled through it..only the very tip of projectiles would poke through....simple matter to remove what sticks up and all would be the same....dremel sort of thing...or honing stone in power drill..the dogs nail file drill thing would all work and be reasonably precise.
    Yes definitely something simple would be best. It's not a game changer if it doesn't happen.
    Micky Duck likes this.