Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: More 270 Win Loads

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    From what I have been told it is temperature sensitive. Also the load data I used was derived from the At 2213 SC load. Superformance is rated one slower burn rate than 2213 SC so if you load as for 2213 SC you should be fine. As with any reloading it pays to work up to max loads.
    Superformance should work fine in any caliber that uses 2213 SC but just be aware that summer temperatures may rise your pressures. Should work well in 270WSM.
    It will surprise you in the 260 too

Hay Gibo you are right, we did a few test loads in Beeman's 260 yesterday and easily reached just over 2800 fps with no pressure signs with the 143 gr ELD-X. I think we are going to use 2209 until current supply is finished then may look at developing a load for it using Superformance. ( 45grs of AR 2209 in Kevin's 260 get about 2770 fps )
    Gibo likes this.

Impressive velocities Mooseman, where'd you get the load data?

On a side note, anyone had luck with the 150gr LRAB's?

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Impressive velocities Mooseman, where'd you get the load data?

On a side note, anyone had luck with the 150gr LRAB's?
    Yeah been using them for a couple of years now, did a couple of trips last week bombing up goats out to 700m with my newly acquired FFP scope. Still have 1000f/lb energy at that distance too, not bad of an old 270win.

mawzer308 I used data for the AR 2213 SC loads. Superformance is next on the burn rate chart after AR 2213 SC so use 2213 SC max loads as a guide. Start lower and work up to your desired. safe load.

Banned
    Okay that's a good approach, thanks.

so this powder should do well in 7rmag? anyone tried? anyone have any temp sensitive field info to report with this powder?

FYI: Barnes publish some superformance load data for the 270 and their projectiles.

https://barnesbullets.com/files/2017...sterForWeb.pdf

Hi Mooseman - this load looks really interesting. Hope you dont mind a couple of questions?!

Im shooting a sako 75 270win, so not too different to your Tikka.. Did you work up the load from smaller powder size // have you got any data on accuracy vs load you would mind sharing?

thanks for your help - I've got the powder / projectiles and looking fwd to getting this going.
    Andy

What I did was checked the max load for AR 2213 SC (H4831) which in the Hornady 10th edition is 59.9grs and decided that 57 grs was good to start with so loaded some up and shot them.
    I may have just got lucky as the load is fast and very accurate so I aren't going to change it any.
    If I was you I would do the same, pick a charge weight below the max for AR 2213 SC ( which by the way in the ADI book is just under 56grs for a Max load) that you are happy with and load a few rounds at different charge weights going up in .5 grain increments and find the velocity and accuracy you are happy with.
    The load in the Hornady book of 59.9 grs is for the 145 gr ELD X bullet so that should be your safe max. Just remember this powder( superformance) can be affected by extremes in temperature, how much I am unsure of.

Hi guys just signed up to let anyone else trying this load my data with it. Loaded up from 55 gr to 57gr. Averaged 2919 at 57 gr so around 200fps slower than the o.p. out of a suppressed tikka 22 inch bbl. No pressure signs so going to try another ladder up to 58.5 see how it goes.

Go the mighty 270! Out of interest what do the 145 ELDX kill like up close and out at distance? This could be the new go too load for my 270 behind the ttsx 110's I which I've come to gain alot of respect for, ( thanks to Tikka here on the forum - cheers mate ) if only they weren't so pricey.
    Manu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneo View Post
    Hi guys just signed up to let anyone else trying this load my data with it. Loaded up from 55 gr to 57gr. Averaged 2919 at 57 gr so around 200fps slower than the o.p. out of a suppressed tikka 22 inch bbl. No pressure signs so going to try another ladder up to 58.5 see how it goes.
    What powder u using?

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

GSP Hunter I have only shot two deer with the 145 ELD X one at about 40- 50 yards pretty much dead on th espot , lot of damage to the front quarters. The other was a yearling Beeman and I got. Beemand shot the hind at about 270 yards and I hit the yearling less than perfect (gut) but in saying that they were on a hillside and the yearling only managed about 15 odd yards from where it was hit , downhill. It did require a finisher. All the other deer we and friends have been shooting with ELD X bullets in various calibers have been pretty impressive results.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Superformance. Went up to 58 grains but started to get extractor marks on the brass. I would definitely say 57gr is max in my rifle.
    Stocky likes this.