Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: My new reloading gear

My new reloading gear

Thought I would chuck a couple of pics up of the kit I got today pretty happy with it. The press is not a rockchucker but the reloader special 5 but it will do for a while. Only down fall no facility to put a primer feed tube on it so have to manually put primers into the priming arm which does not bother me can be just a little bit fiddly till you get the hang of it plus side I can get the hornady lock n load converter to make the dies a quick change set up. Only dissapointment of this kit is no primer pocket cleaners but got two case neck brushes and the accesory handle and a deburr and chamfer tool. so will have to get a primer pocket cleaner for it at some stage.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    7mmsaum, Bryan and gadgetman like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

good to go then:thumbup:

ally or iron press?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nice
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    good to go then:thumbup:

ally or iron press?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    The Reloader Special 5 is an ally press unlike the Rock Chucker but seems to look a lot more solid than the lee presses and still have a bit of weight to them as well. I just have to leave my forlongs card alone for a while now so I can get the balance back down again

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

P38
    Nice

There's enough gear there to keep you busy reloading for a decade or two.

You can use a cheap flat blade screw driver ground to he right width as a primer pocket cleaner in a pinch.

Cheers
    Pete
    Gibo likes this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Forget cleaning primer pockets.
    Get a lee priming tool and you're good to go
    Priming on press is heaps slower than manually.
    If you HAVE to load 1000rds then step it up but what you have is sweet
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

just going to prime on press for now as I am only making small batches of ammo and don't mind taking the extra time for priming plus it is nice to not have to buy three shell holders for each different caliber admittedly the sales guy sold me a lyman shell holder for 6.5x55 which he sized up to a hornady modified case for the OAL guage so will need to change that at some stage to the proper 270 shell holder for the press.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    The shell holders are about $5 each... I have a bunch of different ones.
    To be honest - if that's outside of your budget then you should be using 10rds a year for 10 deer and forget about reloading.
    You won't save a cent reloading.. You will shoot more and prob not even cut even for highland or factory coreloct ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    The shell holders are about $5 each... I have a bunch of different ones.
    To be honest - if that's outside of your budget then you should be using 10rds a year for 10 deer and forget about reloading.
    You won't save a cent reloading.. You will shoot more and prob not even cut even for highland or factory coreloct ammo
    Not outside the budget dude I probably will get a hand primer at a later stage ( have seen one I would like to get that just uses the same shell holder as the press but have only seen it on overseas sites) I am just grateful for what I have got at the moment and I am not going to rush myself to get everything I want to get I will just piece it all together over time, there will be larger quantities loaded up from time to time when there is a field/gong shoot I can attend. I remember when I first started reloading and I lived within 10 minutes of a rifle range I was going through shit loads of ammo as I was there damn near every day.

ebf
    +1 for hand primer, much better "feel" and control when seating primers.

The lee is serviceable and does the job. If you want to splash out, the RCBS one with a universal shellholder is fantastic and will last a lifetime or two.
    puku likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

How's priming on the press slower? I've never done it, but from what I've seen hand priming is slower. I size and prime at once so shell goes in sizes/decap, new primer back in packet in a few seconds.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    How's priming on the press slower? I've never done it, but from what I've seen hand priming is slower. I size and prime at once so shell goes in sizes/decap, new primer back in packet in a few seconds.
    I think Spanners was talking about loading the primers into the primer arm by hand which is what I have to do as RCBS never allowed for a primer feed to be attached to the press I have which is a bummer but I can certainly feel those primers seating themselves on the press while priming.

Is Lee the only ones that put some thought into the press design?

Im with you though on feeling it on the press. Sure theres no measurments but I can feel it. Not that I care I just put it in and shoot

Thats gonna be lots of pissing around putting them in be hand, I done that until I watched a video and saw what the other bits were lol
    VIVA LA HOWA

yeah it is a bit fiddly putting the primers into the primer arm by hand but I am not complaining at least I no longer have to ring around to try and get access to a press and cart my powder, primers etc all over the country side when I want some ammo made and then try to do it all in a short time frame so no one is being held up on my account. The rock chucker has the facilities to accomodate a primer feeder it is just the reloader special 5 and the partner presses that you can't put a primer feed onto

Just remember to put them in the right way I put a fair bit in the wrong way and then wore ear muffs when I had to knock them out in case the decaping pin set them off lol
    VIVA LA HOWA