Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: my poor 260 (winchester primers do it again)

No sign of case head flow into the ejector hole, no sign of polish marks from bolt rotation when opening bolt. No sign of crater edges around firing pin impression. Primers don't appear to have filled out into the chamfer of the primer pocket. Slightly flattened primers only which could be first firing of case ie slightly loose in chamber.

Rambo, just aking the question. Sometimes shit hapens when your loading. I had the same happening with a T3 in .223 using rem primers. Every second was piercing. swithched to CCI and Fed match, no more piercing. Never had a problem with Win LR primers and have used a few thou of them.

if people want to give away primers im all ears!!

Banned
    So is it correct, the load that did this was reloaded by a mate and given to you to test? Has he had any leak gas ?
    I have only had gas leakage happen after many reloads and the primer pockets getting loose. Is the bolt face actually damaged or just stained?
    It looks like a very mild load with no shiny areas on the case head or indent from flowing of brass into the ejector port.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Rambo, just aking the question. Sometimes shit hapens when your loading. I had the same happening with a T3 in .223 using rem primers. Every second was piercing. swithched to CCI and Fed match, no more piercing. Never had a problem with Win LR primers and have used a few thou of them.
    My CZ 223 pierced primers when new. I was using Rem primers as well. Examined the tip of the firing pin with magnifying glass and it was like the end of a cold chisel. Corrected the protrusion length (it was wrong as well) and polished the end to a smooth ball shape and my problem disappeared. Not saying the same cause as yours.... Still using the same Rem BR primers which are really good primers.

None of Rambo's though show signs of piercing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    yeah no worries one of the reasons you put stuff like this on the forum is to find out what other pepole think
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    if people want to give away primers im all ears!!
    if you want to come and pick em up from auckland there all yours i have 5-600
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    So is it correct, the load that did this was reloaded by a mate and given to you to test? Has he had any leak gas ?
    I have only had gas leakage happen after many reloads and the primer pockets getting loose. Is the bolt face actually damaged or just stained?
    It looks like a very mild load with no shiny areas on the case head or indent from flowing of brass into the ejector port.
    no my mates loads are ones that i load for him they have fed primers and worked perfictly
    as soon as i swiched to the ones i loaded with win primers i had issues
    both loads are 1-1.5 below the max book load the brass is once and twice fired

If the pitting is minor which it looks like it is, ignore it.

winchester primers dont seem to like loads near the upper limit, whether this is because they are a fsked batch or design I dont know.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

They're shit. If you want to keep using them knowing what they can do go ahead. I had one blow and gave the other 950 I had away for free. The dude reckons they will be fine but I warned him so no skin off my nose when one blows
    BRADS, steven and Tommy like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

What is the batch no on the back of primer packet.

Rambo, is suspect that if you remove this primer and pop out the anvil you may be able to see if it's corroded. Corrosion should be evident from pitting on the inside of the cup. You can also inspect the primer pocket and even measure it to check if it is in spec. Some simple engineering forensics may reveal the cause. I don't have a microscope but this could help when inspecting the cup, maybe a magnifying lens will do.
    Tommy likes this.

Go down the local jewellers and borrow a loupe maybe

if you know anyone who has some guage pins you can get a real accurate measure. will be interesting to see the results. anyone in Canterbury ill take primers off. Auckland is a little far to drive