Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum

Thread: Neck Turning

Neck Turning

Have a limited supply of 6mm Rem cases, so did some research on necking down 7x57cases. Did 20 Norma cases first, took the neck down with a 6.5x55 die with the spindle removed. Then again with the 6mm Rem with the spindle removed. Trimmed to length and resized agin with the 6mm Rem dies with the spindle replaced. Came out real nice, and chamber freely, so all good.
    Also had 40 S&B cases so used the same process to resize them to 6mm Rem. But they wont chamber freely like the Norma cases, so had a look with the callipers - the Norma are .273 OD at the neck, the S&B are .278 OD and its that little bit of extra on the neck thats causing them to not chamber freely, and will be even more so with a projectile seated.
    Whats the easiest way to neck turn these cases that aint gonna cost me a fortune? This is likely to be a once only thing, never had to neck turn a case in over 40 years of reloading. And now that I've got a nice supply of cases for the 6mm Rem, I dont see me ever needing to neck turn cases again.
    Puffin likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Have a limited supply of 6mm Rem cases, so did some research on necking down 7x57cases. Did 20 Norma cases first, took the neck down with a 6.5x55 die with the spindle removed. Then again with the 6mm Rem with the spindle removed. Trimmed to length and resized agin with the 6mm Rem dies with the spindle replaced. Came out real nice, and chamber freely, so all good.
    Also had 40 S&B cases so used the same process to resize them to 6mm Rem. But they wont chamber freely like the Norma cases, so had a look with the callipers - the Norma are .273 OD at the neck, the S&B are .278 OD and its that little bit of extra on the neck thats causing them to not chamber freely, and will be even more so with a projectile seated.
    Whats the easiest way to neck turn these cases that aint gonna cost me a fortune? This is likely to be a once only thing, never had to neck turn a case in over 40 years of reloading. And now that I've got a nice supply of cases for the 6mm Rem, I dont see me ever needing to neck turn cases again.
    Well bugger, if you'd mentioned that the other day, I had 50 Federal factory cases in the truck!

Do you ever come up to Auckland? I have a 21st Century Neck Turning Lathe.

Post them my way? Im in Kapiti

Ive got some flash harry neck turning stuff here..not sure if there is a 6mm insert amongst it.... will have a look and let you know.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks guys, the offers are much appreciated. Sending them down to ChCh to be turned, just gotta confirm my resizing and how much is needed.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Caretaker
    Am sure I have 20x 6mm rem cases here somewhere you can have

Brand new in box too
    Micky Duck likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Am sure I have 20x 6mm rem cases here somewhere you can have

Brand new in box too
    That would be much appreciated, PM me some details and I can send some funds through asap.