Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

New to reloading

So i'm fresh to the reloading scene, i actually bought a Lee 50th Anniversary Kit with RCBS dies in .223 about 2 years ago from reloaders when they where on special for 150 and always wanted to get into it. so i broke it out tonight set it up and i'm having a ball already and i haven't even loaded a case! i managed to size a case so far and maybe i'll get further the next few nights, just taking it slow as its abit overwhelming at first learning all the terms used etc but thoroughly enjoying myself at the same time! so has anyone got some tips to a newbie like myself ? i own 223 and a 308 tikka will look at reloading for the 308 once i master the 223. i think the 223 is a good place to start.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Youtube is your friend.
    There are THOUSANDS of reloading vids on there

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Youtube is your friend.
    There are THOUSANDS of reloading vids on there
    +1

And ask lots and any questions on here. I learnt a lot from these guys.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

Where abouts in the country are you? Sure plenty of people on here can help you.

on the kapiti coast, is it a good idea to get a hornady manual or similar ?

Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    on the kapiti coast, is it a good idea to get a hornady manual or similar ?
    Yes. The Nick Harvey manuals are good. Heaps of load data plus lots of tips and how to's.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

I bought the lee precision manual, used it a lot. I'm still a novice, I have loaded maybe 500 rounds in total, but i'm still learning how to gedt the most accuarcy wise. I found youtube and forums to be the best source of info. But the manual helps with the how to. The lee kit is whaty I have, I turfed the scales for an electronic one, and the powder measure sucks, ended up using a dipper instead lol. Only other thing I could recomend is a RCBS(or similar) powder trickler. Made my life so much easier.

thanks brennos for that advice i'll look into the scale situation, which scale did you purchase ? also i've been looking on amazon at reloading manuals and theres a ton of old versions for cheap is it ok to buy older reloading manuals or do you have to run with the new ones ? as i'm abit strapped for cash at the moment they look rather good also you can get like 4-5 manuals too one brand new one ? but then there is a thing as too much information isn't there ?

Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    thanks brennos for that advice i'll look into the scale situation, which scale did you purchase ? also i've been loetc oking on amazon at reloading manuals and theres a ton of old versions for cheap is it ok to buy older reloading manuals or do you have to run with the new ones ? as i'm abit strapped for cash at the moment they look rather good also you can get like 4-5 manuals too one brand new one ? but then there is a thing as too much information isn't there ?
    I bought a hornady electronic scale for iirc $69 the trickler was $40, and I also purchased a lee hand primer, as I can sit in front of the tele and prime 50 cases with out being at my bench i think that was about $50. The scale Seems decent, works best on a solid flat level surface. As far as books goOOlder ones will be fine for the processes and info, but the load data may not be current, or applicable to NZ powders. I just use the adi (or what ever powder you are using) for powder weights. The powder weights seem to change, I have an old book here thats minimum for .223 is a lot higher than the current adi book. Reloaders had a $5 adi book that had all the cartridge info as well as min and max and OAL info in it, thats what I use the most. I go back to my lee book for how to, and other info.

Hi Turner Hornady manual is good along with nosler and nick harvey manuals (definitely get the updated edition of this the older one has misprints in the load data) I learned most of my reloading from the hornady and the nosler manual which is even better as it gives accuracy loads and the most accurate powders for the calibers covered. Also Have a look on ebay there are some good deals on there for reloading manuals if you want to get an up to date edition, plus there are some good deals on dies and powder balance beam scales to be had on there too, I am planning on making a couple of purchases through ebay next month for some dies and the latest Hornady manual myself.

Ejected
    Instead of buying scales and a trickler if you can stretch a bit more and get a chargemaster or hornady lock and load powder dispenser you will thank yourself in the long run.

yeah haven't really got that kind of money at the moment but i can get The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert for 28 bucks from book depository has anyone used this book ?

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Instead of buying scales and a trickler if you can stretch a bit more and get a chargemaster or hornady lock and load powder dispenser you will thank yourself in the long run.
    Scales are $69, anda trickler is $40. A charge master is over $700. I agree they are awesome, but they are far from what a novice needs, and a little bit more than a stretch...

think these will be a good buy for scales 0.001 - 30g Scale Digital Electronic Balance Weight Scale | eBay and i'll grab a trickler and that will be me for the moment