Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Newbie information

northdude
    One thing i havnt managed to do yet ill need some lessons

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    One thing i havnt managed to do yet ill need some lessons
    Just buy some hornady dies .Did the trick for me.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

northdude
    Got some even use that lee lube in a tube every one seems to have a problem with

Lee kits working for me,
    Ive got a couple of sub moa loads worked out,
    Not saving any money though because now a shoot 20 times more,
    mimms2 likes this.

Greetings Again AWBates,
    A few more suggestions on load management. First to be clear I would likely qualify as one of Micky Duck's anally pedantic hand loaders so read the following with that in mind.
    First keep good records. I use a table type hard copy system in ring binders dating back to 1981. Currently I record the following, date loaded, number loaded, projectile, powder now including lot number, charge, case, times loaded, primer and notes. Notes would include trimmed length, chronographed velocity and accuracy. I could set up a spreadsheet in Excel, which would have the advantage of being able to add columns when required, but haven't done it yet.
    Second store your loads so you can match the cartridge to the record. The reason for this is to keep track of the times each batch of cases has been loaded and allow them to be trimmed or annealed as a batch when needed. It also prevents the development of a collection of mystery cartridges.
    Finally resist the temptation to load every case you have. Starting out the look of all those loaded cartridges is very satisfying but it leaves you nothing for further load development. Currently I try to keep a batch of loads for the current working load for each rifle, sufficient for current needs, with the balance ready for loading.
    This is how I go about it but you will need to develop a system that works for you.
    Regards Grandpamac.

take your time while learning but the best advice i can offer is do your loading under good lighting. you stand more chance of noticing case faults, incorrectly seated primers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Again AWBates,
    A few more suggestions on load management. First to be clear I would likely qualify as one of Micky Duck's anally pedantic hand loaders so read the following with that in mind.
    First keep good records. I use a table type hard copy system in ring binders dating back to 1981. Currently I record the following, date loaded, number loaded, projectile, powder now including lot number, charge, case, times loaded, primer and notes. Notes would include trimmed length, chronographed velocity and accuracy. I could set up a spreadsheet in Excel, which would have the advantage of being able to add columns when required, but haven't done it yet.
    Second store your loads so you can match the cartridge to the record. The reason for this is to keep track of the times each batch of cases has been loaded and allow them to be trimmed or annealed as a batch when needed. It also prevents the development of a collection of mystery cartridges.
    Finally resist the temptation to load every case you have. Starting out the look of all those loaded cartridges is very satisfying but it leaves you nothing for further load development. Currently I try to keep a batch of loads for the current working load for each rifle, sufficient for current needs, with the balance ready for loading.
    This is how I go about it but you will need to develop a system that works for you.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Good advice.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

The methods can vary, what you end up doing / trying will produce different results. Thats half the fun. Stay safe