Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By jeremyc
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By DavidGunn
  • 2 Post By grandpamac

Thread: newbie right here please help

newbie right here please help

hey guys i recently just purchased a howa 1500 308 with a set of dies. i would like to do my own reloading but im curious to know what powder you guys are using or what powder would be best suited for this gun. im completely new to hunting in general but my buddy who has all the gear has been making his own rounds for a little while now with some good results but he is using a tikka 7mm rem ma. and sugested looking into what others are using with this gun.

Welcome Jeremy. Seems like ADI AR2208 is the way to go for 308s. Have a look at AdI's site for reloading data.

Hi Jeremy, there are loads of powders that work well in 308.

I'm using 2206h in my howa 308 with 168 grain ELD-M projectiles (almost impossible to get at the moment).

The 110 grain v max goes really well in it as well. Very accurate if you're hunting small game. It also likes the 125 grain sst. I've only really shot hornady bullets through mine but it seems to like all of them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyc View Post
    hey guys i recently just purchased a howa 1500 308 with a set of dies. i would like to do my own reloading but im curious to know what powder you guys are using or what powder would be best suited for this gun. im completely new to hunting in general but my buddy who has all the gear has been making his own rounds for a little while now with some good results but he is using a tikka 7mm rem ma. and sugested looking into what others are using with this gun.
    Stuff hunting now... get used to everything about the rifle, including shooting it and zeroing in the scope at your shooting distance. Reloading the bloody round is something to be studied long after your familiar with shooting it and then hunting. I'm fast becoming concerned for firearm ownership in NZ now.

My friend who is far more experienced is the one who will be doing it. But at $70 - $80 a box its not something I can just go do as much as I would like butvif I could get the rounds cheaper then thats great.

But
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Stuff hunting now... get used to everything about the rifle, including shooting it and zeroing in the scope at your shooting distance. Reloading the bloody round is something to be studied long after your familiar with shooting it and then hunting. I'm fast becoming concerned for firearm ownership in NZ now.
    So full of charm and poise so early in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyc View Post
    My friend who is far more experienced is the one who will be doing it. But at $70 - $80 a box its not something I can just go do as much as I would like butvif I could get the rounds cheaper then thats great.

But
    You are on the right track...go for it

I don't think I'd say reloading is gonna be any cheaper u dont reload to save $ these days u reload for accuracy

welcome...personally I use winchester 748...one of the origonal powders made for the 308...its very easy to measure.
    you really really SHOULD have a reloading manual...one of them old fashioned book things..... sure uncle google can tell lots BUT having paper book means you can read and re-read untill it sinks in....not just the WHAT to load...but the WHY of it.... earlier editions go cheap enough...my 2nd edition nosler is priceless for the how to sections...the 3rd edition Nick Harvey one is too for same reason.
    as you new to shooting pick a mid range load...you dont need extra velocity and recoil at this point...something accurate and pleasant to shoot is much better option.
    TOP MARKS for buying a .308.......great to see new shooter not being sucked in by all the hype n hooplah of modern flashasmichaeljacksonmellalimanic rounds.
    KEEP ASKING questions ,the only dumb one is the one you shouldve asked but didnt.....and go beg,borrow or buy a manual.
    shooternz, Woody, kidmac42 and 1 others like this.

As MD says buy a manual and read it throughly, Check Trade Me the this some one selling The ABC's of reloading well worth buying, Learning the art of reloading is more important than
    a book full of recipes Load data is available online, with the .308 you have one of the easiest cartridges to load accurately that will take any animal in NZ with the correct bullet choice.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    I don't think I'd say reloading is gonna be any cheaper u dont reload to save $ these days u reload for accuracy
    And once it is accurate no more bullets needed for that and it is back to reloading for hunting.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Greetings Jeremyc,
    Welcome to hunting and handloading. As a newbie the two things you probably need are a good working load for your rifle and some shooting skills. The .308 is an easy cartridge to load for so the first bit is easy. I assume that you are likely to be hunting bush and semi open country for a start and if so a basic load is all you need. One you could consider is the Hornady Interlock flat base 150 grain projectile and 44 grains of AR2206H. Below max and I have used it for years in a number of .308 rifles and it works. The reason for the flat base is that some .308 rifles tend to have long throats and short mags and may not shoot the boat tails as well, mine doesn't. My 20 inch barrel gives 2,675 fps and is accurate. You can carry out your hunting with this while you test other projectiles and loads to your hearts content.
    The second and more important thing is to develop your marksmanship skills. If your budget can stand it a .22 RF bolt action rifle is well worth considering. It doesn't need to be new or flash, just accurate as most .22 FR rifles are. Plenty of practice is cheap and a suitable place to practice is easier to find. Due to their long barrel time .22 RF rifles punish poor trigger control or lack of follow through with wide shots on the target. Practice sitting and standing mainly as these are the shots that are likely to be presented. Also practice using a casual rest like a tree branch or manuka pole while standing. There are plenty of rifle ranges in your area including the excellent one at Tokoroa. Joining the local NZDA would be worth considering.
    Above all enjoy hunting and shooting. Their are many decisions on loads and kit too make and they are yours to make.
    All the best, Grandpamac.
    Husky1600 and charliehorse like this.