Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Rated M for Magnum
  • 2 Post By Ruger7mm

Thread: NZSCALES

NZSCALES

Hi all. Does anyone use NZSCALES brand of digital scales? I bought one few years back but it isn't very consistent, fluctuates by up to 2 grain and I have to zero it between every load. I'm over using beam scales because they're way too slow to use, takes forever to load 20 rounds. So I'm now on the market for a new digital scale, what does everyone recommend? Economy ain't great so money is tight.
    Thanks

how are beam scales slow???? seriously by a $30-40 set of lee spoons....you will be throwing powder charge into scale pan and trickle up the last wee bit...of tipping it off side of teaspoon by tapping thumb knuckle with other hand.....it doesnt take long at all....
    digital scales out by 2 grains = friggin hopeless.....
    beam scales dont change bugger all.... check zero,dial in your weight and go to it.... and you can trust them.
    Ive got 2 powder throwers that are good to within a flyshit of a grain,constantly...but I usually use lee spoons and trickle up last half grain...its nearly as quick for 20 rounds,by time I dial up the thrower etc etc.
    shooternz and DBD like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    how are beam scales slow???? seriously by a $30-40 set of lee spoons....you will be throwing powder charge into scale pan and trickle up the last wee bit...of tipping it off side of teaspoon by tapping thumb knuckle with other hand.....it doesnt take long at all....
    digital scales out by 2 grains = friggin hopeless.....
    beam scales dont change bugger all.... check zero,dial in your weight and go to it.... and you can trust them.
    Ive got 2 powder throwers that are good to within a flyshit of a grain,constantly...but I usually use lee spoons and trickle up last half grain...its nearly as quick for 20 rounds,by time I dial up the thrower etc etc.
    I am using Lee beams scales. Dumpers in these scales aren't very good., takes a while to settle, have to be very careful loading the pan as not to send the beam swinging wildly. I also find its easier to remove powder from digital scales if I over charge.

gee I wish I was closer so could show you how fast and easy it can be.....the side of a teaspoon is quick....LEE spoons quicker still... underload pan....deliberately go slightly under desired weight and trickle the rest.... side of teaspoon into powder pile on pan...too easy.... in saying that,now Ive got a trickler..LOVE it.... spoon in underweight amount then trickle last wee bit....

the trick to make it settle..is the under weight bit then SLOWLY trickle upwards,if you do it slow enough needle will creep up and not swing.... try it,practise with some sugar even...hold your teaspoon like a pen... but sticking out further...rest that wrist on bench with spoon over pan and tap your thumb knuckle with other hand...you can dispence 2-3 granules of sugar at a time...too easy

I also have shaky hands and have a habit of bumping the beam scale and spilling powder when loading powder and/or the pan, don't have this issues with digi scales.

well I guess yo uwill just have to fork out some serious coin and buy a decent set of digital scales then...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the trick to make it settle..is the under weight bit then SLOWLY trickle upwards,if you do it slow enough needle will creep up and not swing.... try it,practise with some sugar even...hold your teaspoon like a pen... but sticking out further...rest that wrist on bench with spoon over pan and tap your thumb knuckle with other hand...you can dispence 2-3 granules of sugar at a time...too easy
    Yep I find this way very easy as well, fast enough for me.

Of course an auto charger would be the dream but it's only that, a dream
    Micky Duck likes this.

As MD said, and if you are loading for one load consistently use a powder thrower like a Lee. I have two one set for 243 and the other for my 284 to throw just under the required charge weight, and use a trickler for the last fraction of a grain. In my experience electronic scales are no faster to settle than a beam scale. I picked up a second hand RCBS beam scale for $120 and feel much more confident in the reliability of my load weights.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm
    shooternz and Micky Duck like this.