Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bobba
  • 1 Post By Bobba
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: O.A.L FOR HORNADY 130G SST

O.A.L FOR HORNADY 130G SST

Does anyone load hornady 270 sst 130 for tikka? hornady load book says 2.8" overall length, how much difference could be for the actual chamber, can someone please give me details of their load length.

mate......you are asking "one of those questions" like whats the best tyres to run on a ford ranger (answer is round ones,with air in them)
    if you already have a similar load your rifle likes.set your seating die using it..because they seat from somewhere along the olgive..your newly loaded round will be similar jump from rifling..if it fits in magazine it SHOULD shoot similar to your old load.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    mate......you are asking "one of those questions" like whats the best tyres to run on a ford ranger (answer is round ones,with air in them)
    if you already have a similar load your rifle likes.set your seating die using it..because they seat from somewhere along the olgive..your newly loaded round will be similar jump from rifling..if it fits in magazine it SHOULD shoot similar to your old load.
    i understand what you meant, i dont have a problem with the current load and length, but recently obtained an O.A.L gauge and tried, found a huge difference in length, over 5mm compared to the book. with such difference prompted to raise the question.

OAL or COL in my hornady manual for 270 130gr sst is 3.210".

2.80" is 308 length way to short for 270.
    Micky Duck and Borris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by holdover View Post
    i understand what you meant, i dont have a problem with the current load and length, but recently obtained an O.A.L gauge and tried, found a huge difference in length, over 5mm compared to the book. with such difference prompted to raise the question.
    Aha. The gauge is measuring CBTO, cartridge base to ogive which is well shorter than COL, cartridge overall length.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by holdover View Post
    Does anyone load hornady 270 sst 130 for tikka? hornady load book says 2.8" overall length, how much difference could be for the actual chamber, can someone please give me details of their load length.
    Tikka T3, T3X has a maximum magazine length of 85 / 86 mm (3.38 inches ). You are restricted by this if you want to feed from the magazine and not single load. A cartridge at that length should easily chamber At, say, 86 mm COAL you could be from 3 to 5 mm off the lands, from checks I have done but with tailoring to the rifle your load should shoot well.

Hold on let me explain better.

The hornady manual says 3.210" for COL. Base to tip. Not sure where you get the 2.8" from.

If your using the hornady OAL gauge, putting a case inside the chamber and pushing the projectiles forward etc you should get a COL longer than 3.210.

The extra length you get is bullet jump to lands and is different for every chambering/rifle. 5mm doesn't sound to much when comparing a light for caliber bullet to a factory chambering.

Name:  16752192463386536800451177325563.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  5.34 MB
    holdover likes this.

this is where mine are seated....to mag length for the HOWA1500 they go bang and are boringly accurate..keep the few I have left for wallabies.

my bad, meant to say 3.210'', but somehow the page was on the 6.5 creedmoor for 2.8''. i'd been loading the 270 sst 130 to 3.210''. however pushing the modified brass and bullet all the way in , i got 3.368'', that over 5mm difference.