Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Playing with some Redding Competition Shell Holders

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I tried my redding shell holder and the one I use for the tikka in 6.5x55 with norma brass fits easily. The ones I don't use are tight.
    Force must have been the awnser to get them going from memory!

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    Greetings again,
    This shell holder mis match has fascinated me, probably the previously mentioned OCD, so I have done some measurements. The rim recess on the Redding no 1 shell holder was about 12.25mm as near as I could measure which is larger than any of my 6.5 x 55 cases (Norma, Lapua and Winchester) at 12.0 to 12.1mm. The lip that fits into the extractor groove measures 10.3mm but all three cases measure 10.4mm so this is why they don't fit. I checked the RCBS no 3 shell holder, equivalent to the Redding No 1, with dimensions of dimensions of 11.9 and 10.3mm so the rim wouldn't fit in this one either. @andyanimal31 I would be interested to know what the extractor groove on your cases measure as well as the inside dia of your shell holder lip. I suspect that the latter dimension may have changed.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Not only that, but the same shell holder may not fit different brass for the same caliber. Case in point, the Lee Shellholder designated by Lee for 7x57mm Mauser would not accept my RWS brass. I wrote to Lee and they came back pretty much with "use American brass or chose a different shell holder" explaining that often European made brass differed from American made in rim or base dimensions and the problem was common with RWS and S&B. First time I had struck it tho.
    I struck it with S&B brass...it was shocking in .308...I threw it away...not only sticky in shell holders it was really hard to resize...like as in pull handle off press hard.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Zimmer and all,
    I guess that there are so many different head and rim sizes that the die manufacturers have to group them for the shell holders. This causes some anomalies. If they didn't do this there would be north of 200 types and they would cost $200.00 each. It seems different manufacturers grouped them a little differently. When a new cartridge, like the 45 Win Mag, appears the deck gets shuffled a bit as seems to have happened here.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Just did a quick count up. RCBS offer 49 different shell holders whilst Lee offer around 24 for a similar range of cartridges. I'd say Lee has tried a "one size fits all" rationalisation which probably means there are some that may not fit too good at all.

Greetings All,
    I expected to learn a thing or two playing with the shell holders and have not been disappointed. The learning path has just lurched down another rabbit hole as reported next.
    I had pulled the projectiles from my oversize Norma cases, tipped the powder into an empty container and resized them with the expander button assembly out of the die. Cases now chambered freely. I put the expander back in and ran it down into the case neck where it came to a hard stop. Hmm. I tried two more cases with the same result. Next I spotted a crack in the case neck where there had not been one before. More inspection revealed more cracks. I was half expecting this as the cases were pick up in 1988 and were now up to their sixth load (in 2008). OK they are scrap so will have their primers snapped next time on the range and go in the recycling bucket. Now thought to what to do with the salvaged components. I sorted through my available cases looking for a home until it dawned on me that I already had heaps of rounds already loaded (likely more than I will ever use in the time remaining) so after a stiff talking to myself the components were set aside for some future use possibly in my Bergara.
    As to what caused the hard stop to the expander button? I suspect that it was a combination of hard brass and a doughnut. I will section a case and see. More learning on the way.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

actually that is possibly easily explained....you are using expander button in reverse of how it is designed to be used....
    its meant to be inside case when neck is squeezed tighter and it opens it out as it slides OUT of case....by pushing it down into case,the forces at play will be different....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    actually that is possibly easily explained....you are using expander button in reverse of how it is designed to be used....
    its meant to be inside case when neck is squeezed tighter and it opens it out as it slides OUT of case....by pushing it down into case,the forces at play will be different....
    Greetings Micky,
    I use them that way all the time. Often the last step after neck sizing in a Lee Loader. I had struck the problem once before when sizing .303 cases to .30-40 Krag. There was a thicker part of the neck where the shoulder had been. From what I have read sizing this way produces straighter necks but have no proof of that. The rabbit hole continues and long may this be so.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Greetings @Micky Duck and all,
    Tried to expand the necks with my .30-40 dies today. These have an elliptical expander button that is supposed to pass through the necks. This expanded the necks a bit deeper but still came to a hard stop. I did some measuring and there is a distinct larger dia portion of the neck just in front of the shoulder. I think my original idea was correct, a combination of hard brass an a bit of a doughnut. This could have been there for some time as only loadings two and three were full length sized with the following three neck sized about 70% of the case neck.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Greetings All,
    Name:  20211114_124106.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  3.09 MB
    As previously mentioned I borrowed the no 10 competition shell holder kit from my son and spent spare moments over the last few weeks prepping all of the .223 Rem cases assigned to the T3* ready for loading. There are somewhere over 400. Some just needed FL sizing in the + .002 shell holder and trimming. Some that were picked up on the local rifle range around 30 years ago and needed the full treatment including primer pocket reaming and annealing. The cases are Remington and Lake City, mostly LC83. These both weigh close to 94 grains with primer. The slightly heavier Winchester cases together with others of the same weight will be used in the VSSF. Cases are trimmed every loading and candle annealed every other load. Some have sneered at candle annealing but there is science behind it and your fingers tell you when to stop.
    Thinking back I am amazed that I stuck with neck sizing for so long. It was all the go in the late 1970's when I made my first fumbling attempts at hand loading. Ammunition for target and bench rest shooting was always neck sized. Now it is all FL sized in precise dies custom made for the rifle. My neck sizing is now reserved for low pressure loads in my old soldiers where cases never seem to get tight to chamber. For the 6.5x55 and the 7mm SAUM the FL die will be carefully adjusted and the lock ring securely tightened as there is only one rifle for those head sizes. This process has shown how depleted my store of loaded rounds has become so that needs to be rectified. After that the brass for the VSSF needs sorting which fortunately only needs the standard shell holder.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    zimmer likes this.

Nice post GPM.
    Had a laugh at your "fingers tell you when to stop". Not at your annealing process itself but the hot fingers brought back memories of my days working in a mine. The fitters were taught to check bearings on their rounds by doing the fingers/touch test. If after around 3 seconds they couldn't stand the heat any longer the bearing was deemed to be overtemp. Us other trades (yeah, probably thin skinned) reckoned all fitters were thick skinned and they could leave their mits on hot bearings a lot longer than the rest of us mortals which probabaly meant the bearings were toast using their method.

I'm at the stage now where I given up going to my reloading room. I can only sit in there and do nothing except gaze out the window so many times!
    Haven't fired a shot since just before the Orkland lockdown began. About half way thru the lockdown I'd boringly counted brass, primers, and projectiles. Boxed all my brass (some was still in ice cream containers and margi containers). Everything is now boxed in MTM 100 round boxes. All boxes are labelled.

My local range is now open, sorta. We're restricted to 3/4 or 1 3/4 hour prebooked slots. I have some 185 gr projectiles I need to try in my FTR rifle and want to get my 6mm BR going again but cannot get enthusiastic about a rushed session at the range.

@zimmer I have been in a similar mind set. I have had my own enforced lock down with a broken hoof. Cant do F/A couldnt even load rounds as my rifle was away getting rebarreled. Needless to say, all is prepped and primed ready to start some load developement. Got it on saturday and managed to put 10 rounds down it before the rain set on us.
    At least now I can start setting some BTO's and charges to see what happens.
    I do like those newer MTM 100 round count boxes with the two black closing clips, might have to collect a few more!

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Nice post GPM.
    Had a laugh at your "fingers tell you when to stop". Not at your annealing process itself but the hot fingers brought back memories of my days working in a mine. The fitters were taught to check bearings on their rounds by doing the fingers/touch test. If after around 3 seconds they couldn't stand the heat any longer the bearing was deemed to be overtemp. Us other trades (yeah, probably thin skinned) reckoned all fitters were thick skinned and they could leave their mits on hot bearings a lot longer than the rest of us mortals which probabaly meant the bearings were toast using their method.

I'm at the stage now where I given up going to my reloading room. I can only sit in there and do nothing except gaze out the window so many times!
    Haven't fired a shot since just before the Orkland lockdown began. About half way thru the lockdown I'd boringly counted brass, primers, and projectiles. Boxed all my brass (some was still in ice cream containers and margi containers). Everything is now boxed in MTM 100 round boxes. All boxes are labelled.

My local range is now open, sorta. We're restricted to 3/4 or 1 3/4 hour prebooked slots. I have some 185 gr projectiles I need to try in my FTR rifle and want to get my 6mm BR going again but cannot get enthusiastic about a rushed session at the range.
    Glad to have brightened your day Zimmer,
    I have been thinking how bat moon crazy some in Auckland and Waikato must be getting being locked up week after week. I was expecting the pox to spread to other areas and my trip to the Taupo Range at the end of the month is starting to look doubtful. Still having seen other restrictions (like carless days) pass into history we of a certain age know that this too will pass. I do find amusing the hysterical reaction of some of the younger brigade who seem to believe that the end is nigh. There is always something to laugh about.
    All the best Grandpamac.
    zimmer and 6x47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    @zimmer
    I do like those newer MTM 100 round count boxes with the two black closing clips, might have to collect a few more!
    I bought two 50s and one 100 of the new type of Delta Mike. The new proper clips are superb. Likewise the hinges.

My Fullbore and later F Class mound ammo box is an old MTM 100. I can get enough ammo in it for 2 ranges, my bolt clips into the space above the ammo, my plotting book clips into the inside of the lid. After all these years of using it I still at least once a season fail to clip the lid properly at the end of shooting and I pick it up, the lid slips open, and out spew all the contents on to the ground. Always guranteed to amuse the onlookers.

My new MTM will become my new mound box.
    johnd likes this.

@zimmer does the bolt just do that? or have you done a mod to the case? Sounds like an idea I might copy!! My range bag is an old soft briefcase with pen slots, my bolt fits in there, but nothing to really retain it, should I have the bag / satchel tip up.

Scrub that, my bolt is too long by a micro fathom and also the lid wont shut with the bolt wedged in there..... oh well never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Glad to have brightened your day Zimmer,
    I have been thinking how bat moon crazy some in Auckland and Waikato must be getting being locked up week after week. I was expecting the pox to spread to other areas and my trip to the Taupo Range at the end of the month is starting to look doubtful. Still having seen other restrictions (like carless days) pass into history we of a certain age know that this too will pass. I do find amusing the hysterical reaction of some of the younger brigade who seem to believe that the end is nigh. There is always something to laugh about.
    All the best Grandpamac.
    Help appears to be on the way @zimmer.