Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pointless ammo ‘disposal’ thread

soldered a couple of drawing pins onto the swing arm of a mouse trap and glued 2 shotgun primers on the base board..................mice stink when exploded

was also a good trap for people putting junk mail in the letterbox after repeated requests not to

Years ago myself and a workmate tried to set of some gelignite with dets using a 357 lever action. The safety fuse type not electric.
    Dismal failure. Couldn't do it too close for obvious reasons, we still had some grazes across the det but it never went off. He had done quite a bit of explosive work and was very surprised it didn't go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Years ago myself and a workmate tried to set of some gelignite with dets using a 357 lever action. The safety fuse type not electric.
    Dismal failure. Couldn't do it too close for obvious reasons, we still had some grazes across the det but it never went off. He had done quite a bit of explosive work and was very surprised it didn't go bang.

That’s surprising - it always works in the movies!

Used to shoot arrows straight up in the air out of sight and see who could stay their ground...I was a dumb shit at times..it so were the mates who played as well....
    Jusepy likes this.

When I was a boy cant remember age might of been 7 or 8 I used to hit those round 8 cap gun caps with the hammer I ran out pretty quick doing that so got a shotgun primer from the cupboard put it on the concrete and hit it let’s just say I shat myself and left a hole in the concrete and never did that again ��
    norsk likes this.

When about 10 years old my mate tipped a heap of gun powder out of crackers and mixed those little lead split shot sinkers in it to make a bomb which was about the size of a jam jar, the mix exploded when he lit a smoke...he is now 72 years old and still carries a couple of the shot that could not be removed, they show up in Xrays along with the .22 bullet in his shoulder blade...but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    When about 10 years old my mate tipped a heap of gun powder out of crackers and mixed those little lead split shot sinkers in it to make a bomb which was about the size of a jam jar, the mix exploded when he lit a smoke...he is now 72 years old and still carries a couple of the shot that could not be removed, they show up in Xrays along with the .22 bullet in his shoulder blade...but that's another story.
    So he has carried that lead around for 62 years, and Fish and Game try to tell me that metallic lead (as opposed to inorganic lead) is toxic.

A mate of mine at school tried to dig the primer out of a 12g shell with his ball point pen in the middle of class.....needless to say it wen off with a fucking massive bang !!!!
    he was less than popular not his finest hour

I was a Chemistry lab tech at secondary school we made a batch of nitrogen tri iodide one lunchtime which dried out and detonated during the first period of the afternoon broke some glassware blew a small hole in the bench and filled the prep room with purple iodine vapour.
    Got into a bit of trouble over that.
    csmiffy likes this.

As kids (many many years ago) we would find the odd 22 rimfire cartridge laying around the farm shed, they would be placed on the train track, we would walk miles to do this without a second thought.

Another ‘fun’ thing for schoolboys: cut (or scrape off) the head of a few live matches into empty 22 shells, crimp and bend over the top of the shell - then hit it with a hammer, nice satisfying bang!

Don’t try it with a 303 shell full of match heads and hit it with the back of an axe, it won’t end well, believe me...

Back in the days of coal mining in my home town, They used carbide lanterns on their hard hats.
    Little container drips water onto the carbide. A tap regulates the water drip and therefore the gas (acetylene). I did see a spotlight rig (possums) where a car headlight reflector was fitted to one. No batteries.
    Anyhoo some kids, and possibly the odd adult would make carbide bombs. Get a jar, throw some carbide and water in there. Screw the lid on and throw it.
    Never tried it myself to get the finer recipes properly sorted as it was getting a bit rare when I was growing up but supposedly it was used for fishing sometimes.