Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Which Powder Dispenser

Iv got a gen 5.

pretty happy but i cant compare it to anything else.
    Use enough gun

Jeez. I don't know about Gen 5 or 6 for that matter. I do know that I check every 5 th throw. Old habits die hard.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

I have an hornady . I had a few issues with zeroing initially, but some how it all works fine now. But I have to run it on slow with a silicone tube bit at the end of the trickier tube to not go overweight. Loads 10 grain of trail boss to 137 grains of 2217 very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I have an hornady . I had a few issues with zeroing initially, but some how it all works fine now. But I have to run it on slow with a silicone tube bit at the end of the trickier tube to not go overweight. Loads 10 grain of trail boss to 137 grains of 2217 very well.
    Yeah I've seen a few they all need to be run slow and have a straw or the likes. But I use it for everything and shoot fist sized groups at 1k

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

My hornady both run great with out any ad ons.
    To be fair they have improved alot since the first ones.
    When I am doing 22-250 loads I barely have time to seat the projectile before the next pan is ready.
    I highly recommend the hornady as been running them since they came out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

@Friwi @Cartman and whoever else has a Hornady dispenser.

To help stop overweights especially with large stick powders try this.....

1. Press back cancel
    2. Press and hold mode button
    3. 0.2 will appear on screen - keep holding mode button down until it gets to 1.0 (although mine works fine at 0.8)
    4. Press dispense button and change from P to N
    5. Make sure mode has returned to auto and speed is at slow

Note: these settings will revert to 0.2 when the power is turned off so you need to do it each time you use it but its not a biggie, only takes a few seconds.

With the above adjustments I have no need for straws and I hardly ever get overweight charges
    andyanimal31, Gibo, Friwi and 1 others like this.

I' m using an old RCBS charge master 1500.
    With straw and speed mods as per Spanners years ago post.
    Its quite bulky to store and looks like a plastic fantastic but considering the moving parts it just keeps going and going.
    I dont do anything else like seating bullets while its pouring because the loads go crazy.
    Calibration is very stable. I've got a small nut that weighs 44.3 gr and check it at start middle and end of each session and it's always spot on.
    Every 5th load I wait a few extra seconds for it to display the actual weight dispensed and I accept + 0.1 gr overrun (gong shooting to 500m only plus hunting). About every tenth load is + 0.2 gr and I discard those when I see them and check the next two to assure the machine hasn't gone haywire but it's always come right next load. I get more overthrows after towards the end of the session ie after 30-40 loads.

So it could well be the newer throwers are better but the charge master was the original and is the benchmark to compare them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I' m using an old RCBS charge master 1500.
    With straw and speed mods as per Spanners years ago post.
    Its quite bulky to store and looks like a plastic fantastic but considering the moving parts it just keeps going and going.
    I dont do anything else like seating bullets while its pouring because the loads go crazy.
    Calibration is very stable. I've got a small nut that weighs 44.3 gr and check it at start middle and end of each session and it's always spot on.
    Every 5th load I wait a few extra seconds for it to display the actual weight dispensed and I accept + 0.1 gr overrun (gong shooting to 500m only plus hunting). About every tenth load is + 0.2 gr and I discard those when I see them and check the next two to assure the machine hasn't gone haywire but it's always come right next load. I get more overthrows after towards the end of the session ie after 30-40 loads.

So it could well be the newer throwers are better but the charge master was the original and is the benchmark to compare them to.
    That's not like you trusting electronic scales......wouldn't throwing the odd charge on a beam scale be better QC?

Name:  teaspoon_148819550_250.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  2.5 KB
    Shootm likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    That’s how I do it at the moment
    Gibo likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

RCBS Chargemaster...works well auto dispense as I seat bullet. Chunky stick powders work less well and tend to go over but easy to pinch the powder from the pan.

Oddly I have not fiddled with the settings for speed of dispensing @MSL