Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By zimmer

Thread: Powder funnel

Powder funnel

I have been doing some bulk reloading for my 223 now 53gr vmax are back in stock. I have my auto powder dispenser but the weakness in my process is my funnel. I have tried a couple of different types (lee and mtm) but both do t give a good case mouth hold while allowing good powder throw. I am using predominantly 2206h and BM2 so similar shaped powder. What is everyone's go to funnel or funnel system to make it work? Just using red loading trays at present but can change that part if necessary.

Can thoroughly recommend these: https://cerakotenz.co.nz/shop/reload.../mk-machining/

Fit really well and no static.

Drop it into something, then rest the funnel on the case, while the case sits in the loading block?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

these are another good one and static-free https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...prod33260.aspx

Yes, I have multiple Satern funnels as linked above. I like them.

As mentioned, I like the aluminium Satern brand funnels linked above, but if I had to buy another it may be the Area 419 one, with individual calibre heads:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...17-228906.aspx

When I started handloading part of the fun was making up whatever I could rather than buying an expensive (at the time on apprentice wages) commercial solution. This included funnels and loading blocks.
    Only in the last couple of years did I buy a Satern funnel for my 6mmBR. They're no doubting they are a quality item but relatively expensive and work no better than my home made ones.
    My funnels are all a slip fit ie when you lift the funnel off the charged case they don't lift the case at the same time. I also have some funnels that are a mildly tight fit over the necks and when you lift the funnel the charged case lifts as well, with no risk of the case dropping out of the funnel.
    I just used cheap funnels from the plastic shop. And before anyone says there is a risk of static the plastic soon gets a dark discolouration from the powder and becomes non static.
    The photo shows some of my funnels. There's one for 284W somewhere as well, plus one just for 22 Hornet.
    Name:  20210303_172615.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  963.8 KB
    Kiwi Sapper and 6x47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    When I started handloading part of the fun was making up whatever I could rather than buying an expensive (at the time on apprentice wages) commercial solution...............
    Nice examples which have encouraged me to "have a bash.". Why couldn't you get number 8 wire or binder twine to work? :>)

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I just used cheap funnels from the plastic shop. And before anyone says there is a risk of static the plastic soon gets a dark discolouration from the powder and becomes non static.
    Yeh, never clean out the graphite stain in the funnel.