Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Powder: How old is too old?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    When powder goes off it releases a red dust and smells acidic. Where abouts its normally basic. If you smell the two or are familiar with powder it is very distinct and will know straight away.

Sounds like something else could be amiss
    Looks and smells fine.

Just recently disposed of a pound of 3031 recently. Pissed me orf as I was still using it in my 308 sporter.
    I had been watching it for a while. Detected a slight colour change from what I had seen in the past and then the strong acrid smell.
    Had a nice fire out on the drive. Should have fust thrown it on the lawn as it's supposedly good fertiliser.

Was about 40 ish years old (c 1980) but even then should have been OK as I've always been careful about how I store my powders.

Other experience I had years ago was with recovered milsurp 4895. It was also about 40 years old (c 1944) which should still have been OK. I had it in an old Nobels #2 metal can which had a small screwtop lid. The lid actually blew off and the powder fumed vigorously. Quite scary as in those days all my reloading stuff was stored in a bedroom.
    Ranal, Micky Duck and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranal View Post
    Thank you for the comments. Mate was pretty good at reloading and very careful with all his gear so sure it would have been stored well.
    What would peoples next step be then to fine tune? Reload some more at GWH load and try for some 5 shot groups to check?
    its working..next step put chronicgraph behind centre of target and fire a 5 shot group to confirm accuracy..oops now chronicgraph is rooted so not the velocity of said accurate load is considered good enough...go shoot stuff and be happy with load as it is.
    Ranal likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters