Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Press upgrade to Franford or Forster Co-ax press

Press upgrade to Franford or Forster Co-ax press

I have a Hornady 007...had it for 30 years? I figure I deserve an upgrade. A mate has a Forster co-ax and seriously impressed by it. Not seen for sale in NZ and a few hundred dollars more than the Frankford Arsenal co-ax available locally.

The dies just slot in and float rather than screw in. The lock ring on a normal die works in the Forster but the FA needs a special block. Both have universal jaws to replace shellholders - the Forster does this better.

Anyone on here using the FA press and able to comment on how they find it?

@Bubba?

I ain't no reloading wizard and don't do a huge amount but yes really like the FA press. It's probably a lot more press than I need but I needed to upgrade and at the time the price was only a bit more than a standard press which are hard to get.

Once set up I've found it super easy and fast compared to my old press. Not having to slide each case into and out of a holder speed things up but you do have to hold the case until it's gone up and entered the die or you might crush a few.

The floating die holders at first seemed a bit dodgey but when you think about it with the way the case holder works everything is able to self align. Again once set up super fast to change over and I have brought another 3 sets of blocks.

In terms of accuracy I was pretty happy with case length and seating depth which if I remember correctly was within 0.03mm using a standard seating die.

So yes I'm really happy with it, easy and fast to use once setup and you get into a rhythm.
    Last edited by Bobba; 28-07-2022 at 06:49 AM.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

I went with Forster incl micro seater die set,
    Quality kit,far more than I need but you only live once
    BRT in Aus.
    There was supposed to be a 6 month wait. It showed up in 2 weeks.
    Good people to deal with.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Happy Co-ax owner here.
    In terms of mounting, that Frankford one looks to have a very narrow mounting footprint to hold against the leverage when used. The Co-ax is completely solid on a decent bench.
    Either way the floating die concept is brilliant.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Had a coax a few years, you can get them from workshop innovation, sometimes waiting for stock to arrive but worth checking
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Only $25 to ship from Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Only $25 to ship from Oz.
    Bargain, they’re bloody heavy

I’m going to get a Forster co-ax when I start going back to the States next year.
    Tikka7mm08, Dreamer and dannyb like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I hunted the globe and BRT were the only store that had them and there was 22 in stock when I got them. You really need the Forster rings for the dies, not that expensive for a pack of 10
    outdoorlad and Plinky like this.

Another happy co-ax user here. Not used anything else.
    I think its sinclair lock rings ive got - full round not with flats on the side for a spanner.
    Had to reset die lengths after about 5 years as the headspace and oal had got about .005 longer. Perhaps the press had stretched a little or the bearings worn in a bit.
    Its a bit fiddly dismantling the case holder to change between 223 case and 308 case base. Springs can escape.
    Its a heavy unit.
    Gives very uniform sizing and seating usually +/- .001” and runout was good too but im not that good at measuring it.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Here's a good video of the Frankford press with a comparison to the co-ax at the end.

https://youtu.be/sBZP4uMN_LY
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

@Tikka7mm08
    when it comes to seater dies don't get hooked into "must have the micro seater die", sure the micro seater is the premium design having that dial to give you a visual reference point... but the bench rest seater is exactly the same without the micro dial on top.
    I have both in different cartridges and both are excellent. Micro seater is good when you are changing between projectiles/loads but if you have only one or two favourites and don't move around much, the bench rest seater does you fine.

Exactly. I use standard and micrometer.

Have you tried reloading direct (workshop innovations)? I think he had one in stock a couple of weeks back. Sometimes the stock levels on the website havent been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    Have you tried reloading direct (workshop innovations)? I think he had one in stock a couple of weeks back. Sometimes the stock levels on the website havent been updated.
    Several times I've bought stuff and then had an email to say sorry not in stock.