Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pressure is absolute or ft?

What do you use in your balistic program? Do you enable pressure is absolute and don't put in a ft/meter value, just pressure or do you use both, And why? What's best to use, can I just run default settings sub 1000 yards?

I havnt had a play to check the difference yet
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

if you have a weather station use station or absolute which js the same as you set your reference altitude in your baro readings to zero then you can measure what your actual pressure is where you are shooting.
    once you get your head around it its not a problem.
    I had my kestrel on on when we drove up the comet the other day and noticed an inch change in hg pressure which made approx .1 mill of difference change of impact at 600 yd.
    Temp is a pretty important but humidity nothing
    Practice is the name of the game!
    I had plenty this weekend with about 70 goats on the deck with nothing closer than 300 and good consistint hits out to 770 with the dirty old 6.5 so all good
    Pm me if you want and i can run you through it if you want
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    IIRC you can't/shouldn't use both as Andy has suggested. Pressure will be the "be all" with respect to ballistics.
    Elevation equals pressure (or lack of) and is a function of it (pressure) i.e if you know your pressure (with reference to the current sea level air pressure) you can calculate theoretical elevation. One can't contradict the other? Correct me if Im wrong as Im not 100% sure with FTE.
    I do know though, with reference to pressure being "absolute" that will be determining a zero reference. "Absolute" pressure will start in a perfect vacuum with normal sea level pressure being around 1015hPa (1atm). As you ascend air pressure is reduced and is linear against increasing altitude (if all the other variables stay the same).

R93
    Normally just chuck me in a round room and tell me to piss in the corner and I am confused.

This has got way out there.
    First off, you need cell coverage to use weather station function, no? No coverage where I am so I have never used it.
    I just use the Kestrel and manually enter the values off that. Confirm Alt with GPS and its easy peasy.
    Last edited by R93; 29-01-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

all i do is use my kestel to give me the station pressure.
    if you use station or absolute pressure which from what i can glean is the same you dont need the altitude factor as on shooter you use [pressure is absolute ticked] and then just temperature read in the shade and just a guess for humidity and its all go
    I dont mind been corrected if i am wrong but pretty sure i am on the right track as getting the hits right out there

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I dont mind been corrected if i am wrong but pretty sure i am on the right track as getting the hits right out there
    Which at the end of the day is all that really counts

Station pressure Im almost certain will be in absolute pressure. Absolute is just a format with different zero reference.

Today was about 30deg C in Napier or 303deg Kelvin. Same units just different format. Same as gauge and absolute pressures.

So really I need a weather station eg kestrel, or the new Geovids
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Caretaker

You can buy suunto watches that give atmospheric readings in both relative and absolute readings, i use mine all the time when LR hunting.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    You can buy suunto watches that give atmospheric readings in both relative and absolute readings, i use mine all the time when LR hunting.

Think I got lost there a bit. Shooter has a function that needs coverage to get data and automaticaly applies it?
    I dont enable that and enter manually from my Kestrel.
    Actual air pressure and temp at your loc, within reason is all that matters, or at least works for me regarding hits.

How muchy for those watches Andrew? Mine just quit with all this moisture around I reckon.

Caretaker

Less then 2 hundy on ebay.com.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

You guys are talking about QNE and QNF? Playing with the numbers on my programme i find that baro pressure and altitude (+/- 200ft) dont really alter my POI by stuff all. Before i started using a weather gadget i just input pressure at 1000hpa and was done with it. Temprature on the other hand makes a big difference.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Less then 2 hundy on ebay.com.
    Sweet mate I will have a look. Ebay has me on speed dial

Them there is terms used in Aviation Towely

QFE - Pressure measured at the station

QNH - QFE mathmatically reduced/increased to sea level using ISA std figures

QFF - QFE mathmatically reduced/increased to sea level using actual conditions (temperature)

QNE - Emergency pressure setting used for low pressure/high altitude operations. I.E. when the actual pressure setting is off the scale of the altimeter.

Re: Pressure is absolute or ft?

So iv never touched the pressure in shooter since i downloaded it and just enable gps so it can use standard pressure For alt?
    Obviously the actual measured conditions would be best but i don't have the equip. 600ish would be max for me on a animal and even then only in near perfect conditions.
    Is there anything i could or should be doing to improve, not having atmospheric measuring equip?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

this is a good description of how it all works
    Barometric Pressure and Ballistic Software